Amp Camp Amp - ACA

I got a second channel up and running. On each channel I installed a 1K resistor from base to emitter of Q3 with a jumper so as to increase bias current to about 2.2 amps. For some reason the DC adjustments of the two channels interact even though separate power supplys were used for each channel. The output caps, C1 are still in place.

For this first test I just used the balanced in and out of the Audio Precision System 1. I'll try other ways of connecting a single ended signal source in a day or two.

Attachments

• ACA1_17.GIF
    ACA1_17.GIF
    26.3 KB · Views: 2,241
  • ACA1_Bal.JPG
    ACA1_Bal.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 2,203
I completed my ACA: Really good. i like it! :) It sounds really good and with an adequate level with the cdplayer, with the turntable i need a bit more gain.
but there is a little problem: is biased at 10V but is not heating up.. i can keep my hand on heatsinks indefinitely.
the heatsinks are hifi2000 model 3PD02200 (200mm*40*80) rated at 0,67c°/w. one channel is a bit warmer than the other one.
Is that all right? Thank you!

About the t-shirts.. i'll work on the file using forum suggestions tomorrow

It lives

Been working on these this week after work and finished wiring one up tonight. Seemed ok on a dummy load so I hooked it up and even on one channel sounds sweet. Still need to adjust the voltage, finish wiring up the second mono bloc, finish the cosmetics etc. I will post more thoughts when completed.
Mike

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    727.6 KB · Views: 1,993
Been working on these this week after work and finished wiring one up tonight. Seemed ok on a dummy load so I hooked it up and even on one channel sounds sweet. Still need to adjust the voltage, finish wiring up the second mono bloc, finish the cosmetics etc. I will post more thoughts when completed.
Mike

What I am interested in is what is it hooked up to as a power source? A block of iron and a tube rectifier? Look very hardcore power source wise...

Sorry no mega power supply on this build. It's a standard build with one pc power supply per channel 19v 3.5A. I am using a toob pre but what you can see next to it in the pic is my Diytube GetSetGo power amp. Will be interesting to compare Jfet to 6B4g SET power....

Mike

Hi, my name is Nils. I'm from german and I heard about the "camp amp" in the DIY-newsletter. It sounds very interesting for me, because I'm an absolute beginner. :eek:

I built already speakers - at the moment I'm using Fullrange-Open-Baffles and a Ripol-Woofer. My listening room is quite large, but actually 5W should be enough to drive the OB (93dB I guess).

At the moment I'm listening with a MUSICAL FIDELITY A1-X and a MUSICAL FIDELITY CDT ClassA-Tube-Player. And here is my question: If I build the CAMP AMP (and use it together with a good preamp), will it sound better? I mean, can it be a real upgrade?

I ask, because the A1-X sound already very good to me. Most important for me is, that the amp sounds musical/lifely.

Best regards, Nils.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
1000$ question...wrong question...

you must build the camp for learning and fun and yes will sound good , if not so good for you ,you can build F1-F2-F3-F4-F5-F6-Ba1-2-3 :D:D

Brilliant statement IMHO. It's the way to get started, and most people are also startled at how great it sounds. If you do end up making other amps then it might become surplus, but then it 's still very useful for a table top system, computer system, bedroom system, present to GF, present to your dad..

I think of it as the Raspberry Pi of amps....any one know what the R Pi audio applications will be?

Last edited: