Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2020, 07:46 AM   #8611
AnthonyA is offline AnthonyA
diyAudio Member

I have seen good and bad examples on both types of supply. There is alot of high end gears with smps that sounds better than linear.. Vice versa so it highly depends on how its design around it..

I have tried things like lucent. Vicor. Tyco switching DC to DC bricks... It's very good even if it's switching.. No prob with it even for dac.... Tried capacitance multiplier..also very decent especially if the transformer have hum issues

All have advantages and weakness... Sound wise and how to apply. That's why diy is fun as we can explore

Bob Cordell power supply thread is worth a read. Alot of myth and tips there. Especially on how to make a good crc clc.. It works for me. His baf videos on how to filter lt 317.. All worth the time to look at it..
Old 23rd March 2020, 11:59 PM   #8612
phomchick is offline phomchick  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyA View Post
Bob Cordell power supply thread is worth a read. Alot of myth and tips there.
Do you have a kink to, or the title of this thread? Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 24th March 2020, 01:14 AM   #8613
TonyTecson is offline TonyTecson  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

ripple voltage is a function of load current and C, being directly proportional to load current and inversely proportional to C, the difference is in the factor 6.28F, where is either 60 or 50hz for linear power supplies, and for smps minimum of 20khz, so the ratio is 20000/50 or 400, but 30 to 70 khz for smps is not unheard of...

i have used smps for the last two years and the thing i like with the smps is the ease of use and the very low noise compared to linear, really diyer friendly...

but the very low cost compared to linears is the thing i like most..
Old 24th March 2020, 04:47 AM   #8614
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phomchick View Post
Do you have a kink to, or the title of this thread? Thanks for the recommendation.
Look at sticky in the power supply section.. Favorite threads.. There is a Bob Cordell thread listed
Old 24th March 2020, 04:59 AM   #8615
diyAudio Member

As long as we weight the pro and cons... Anything goes. All have different signature... All depends upon individual project target

Some like accurate.. Some like musical bliss... But papa is all about music and being sexy

Was told cresnet diy smps here is pretty solid.

Amp Camp Amp - ACAHide this!Advertise here!