Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2020, 09:28 PM   #8381
myleftear is offline myleftear  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
I actually have 2 kits (Amp Camp Amp Parts Kit Only – diyAudio Store) which I won‘t build. Would give it for what I paid for...
Pm if interested.
David
Old 12th January 2020, 12:59 AM   #8382
Variac is offline Variac  Costa Rica
diyAudio Editor

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Yes the kits are rather popular these days so they sell out quickly. I’ll announce here when they’re ready again so maybe you guys can get your orders in first. But it will probably be in 3 months.

Mark
Old 12th January 2020, 01:01 AM   #8383
TonyTecson is offline TonyTecson  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

several ways to get more power, balanced bridging, or single ended bridging, i have tried them both and they both deliver the goods..
Old 14th January 2020, 02:35 AM   #8384
Metropolis is offline Metropolis  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello All - made a total dumb move tonight while wrapping up my Amp Camp - while trying to desolder a little too much solder that got onto the the tip of the DC input jack's pin, I melted the insulation and ruined the jack (dummy).

Anyhow - anyone have the part number for the DC input jack?
Old 14th January 2020, 05:15 AM   #8385
Variac is offline Variac  Costa Rica
diyAudio Editor

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
839-1292-ND is the part# at Digi-Key
2.54 ea. but very nice quality so we feel worth it.

try this:
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?...ds=839-1292-ND

Last edited by Variac; 14th January 2020 at 05:17 AM.
Old 14th January 2020, 05:17 AM   #8386
Metropolis is offline Metropolis  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variac View Post
839-1292-ND is the part# at Digi-Key

try this:
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?...ds=839-1292-ND
Excellent, thanks!!
Old 16th January 2020, 02:00 PM   #8387
Saracenblue is offline Saracenblue  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi

I am hoping to end up with a basic stereo ACA with a volume pot, an internal 24v smps https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDeta...pwvVq38qXuprI=
built into my own enclosure.
I have a 2v output CD player and a pair of Wayne Parhams excellent 2Pi speakers (95 db sensitivity)
Pi Speakers - two Pi loudspeaker performance data
My listening room is quite small and I am using is a single ended EL84 valve amp with an output of about 3w. More than adequate.
Reading this thread and having just passed 400 pages I have made many notes so I am hoping that what I am proposing should not be too radical.

Some questions to get me started.
1. A 10k pot is planned as a low resistance has been generally recommended. Should the wiring for the pot to be as I would with my valve amp, RCA-POT-PCB etc?
2. I would like to follow the recommended modifications, R15-add the bias resistor, change R12 from 68K to 39.2K and adjust the DC output to 12v.
3. I’m planning to use a couple of finned heatsinks that are about 8’’ long x 3’’ high x1.5’’ deep, if OK?
I will have plenty of ventilation holes in the top and bottom covers and the amp will sit on an open shelf.

Advice and comments welcome, please be gentle as this is a totally new direction for me. I am learning and still have so much to learn.

Graham
Old 16th January 2020, 02:47 PM   #8388
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Saracenblue: your sinks sound perfect. I'm running at 19v and bias level without the additional resistor on sinks that measure 8" x 3" x 1.5" for each channel and temps are fine.

I built one of my ACAs as you describe: RCA-> stepped 20k pot -> PCB. The volume pot works OK, but even with a log taper, it doesn't quite function as you'd expect a volume knob to work. Some steps sound larger than others. Somewhere, someone mentioned that using a pot in the manner really needs to be accompanied by an additional buffer to work "properly." Perhaps others will have commentary here...
Old 16th January 2020, 03:10 PM   #8389
Skylar88 is offline Skylar88  South Africa
diyAudio Member

@Saracenblue & Eric

I have also built the ACA with R15 mod. That translates to around 6W pc. With a B1 buffer fed by FLAC files thru a Sabre DAC, the volume was so-so on 94dB speakers (Dual 3FE25-16 Karlsonator).

Then someone on diyAudio mentioned that total gain of a system should be about 30dB for adequate music levels. I think the gain of the ACA is 15dB or thereabouts and the B1 buffer has no gain. I then built an AKSA Lender preamp and set the gain to 15dB to get to the recommended 30dB total gain. Now it's a different system with volume to spare on even the quietest of tracks.

I'm not saying that the AKSA Lender preamp is a must, because it's a more complicated build than the ACA. Just be aware that unity gain (buffers or no preamp) can probably not drive the ACA to its full potential.

Last edited by Skylar88; 16th January 2020 at 03:13 PM.
Old 16th January 2020, 03:29 PM   #8390
Steve Luck is offline Steve Luck  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

I think it’s a mistake to put the power supply in the same case. If you place it in a separate case you reduce the chances of getting mains hum and interference and have flexibility to place it away from other components and upgrade it later.

Amp Camp Amp - ACAHide this!Advertise here!