Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2019, 07:12 AM   #8291
CentralCoast is offline CentralCoast  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi, I am building two aca and would like to run stereo thru them using the XLR input. They will both be in a single enclosure. I am confused about mirrored pairs and making sure the phase is correct. Is wiring each as a monoblock the right move? Would someone point me to a post or help me understand how to wire two aca as a stereo pair, please.
Old 11th December 2019, 07:37 AM   #8292
Stanislav is offline Stanislav  Australia
diyAudio Member

XLR:
pin 1 ground
pin 2 positive
pin 3 negative

so for example you can do:
pin 1 common ground to both channels
pin 2 Left
pin 3 Right

look here:
How to Wire an XLR to Two RCA Connectors

I'm sure other members will come up with different and likely better suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XLR-2xRCA.jpg (55.1 KB, 174 views)
Old 11th December 2019, 08:04 AM   #8293
myleftear is online now myleftear  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Default Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralCoast View Post
Hi, I am building two aca and would like to run stereo thru them using the XLR input. They will both be in a single enclosure. I am confused about mirrored pairs and making sure the phase is correct. Is wiring each as a monoblock the right move? Would someone point me to a post or help me understand how to wire two aca as a stereo pair, please.

AFAIK, if you stick to the building guide, you will have your ACAs prepared for monoblock (bridged) operation —one left channel, the other unit the right channel?
Old 11th December 2019, 09:14 AM   #8294
Stanislav is offline Stanislav  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myleftear View Post
AFAIK, if you stick to the building guide, you will have your ACAs prepared for monoblock (bridged) operation —one left channel, the other unit the right channel?
Confusing answer.
The question was running stereo ACA with the XLR connector as input to both channels, Left and Right.
Otherwise you are right, the guide covers the option.
Old 11th December 2019, 09:19 AM   #8295
umut1001 is offline umut1001  Europe
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Hi.We want to make bridged ACA amplifier with RCA input to eliminate output capacitors.(4 ACA board in one case but not balanced amp,RCA input.May also build B1 buffer inside of amp)My friend told that we can not make a DC protect circuit to protect speakers.We want to make a delay circuit when start up and save speakers for any DC if one block of amplifier damaged.Is it not possible?
Old 11th December 2019, 02:39 PM   #8296
lifefordota is offline lifefordota
diyAudio Member

Would be anyone sharing experience of comparing ACA and other amp and the speaker been using in comparison.
Old 11th December 2019, 04:09 PM   #8297
CentralCoast is offline CentralCoast  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks, but I am looking for the monoblock wiring details for each channel. Each channel is a monoblock.
Old 11th December 2019, 08:13 PM   #8298
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Quote:
Originally Posted by umut1001 View Post
Hi.We want to make bridged ACA amplifier with RCA input to eliminate output capacitors.(4 ACA board in one case but not balanced amp,RCA input.May also build B1 buffer inside of amp)My friend told that we can not make a DC protect circuit to protect speakers.We want to make a delay circuit when start up and save speakers for any DC if one block of amplifier damaged.Is it not possible?
It may be possible. You could use an opamp as a type of servo. This would sample the DC voltage at the output of amp 1 and then using that as a reference bias amp 2 to achieve the exact same DC output conditions.

Two resistors and two caps plus one opamp.

The problem (imo) with bridging the ACA is that because the output impedance is so high, the load affects the absolute output voltage of 'amp 1' and then we use that altered voltage as the input to amp 2.

I think it would be better to do the phase splitting at the inputs using an opamp... however
Attached Images
File Type: png ACA 1.png (116.3 KB, 263 views)
File Type: png ACA 2.png (141.8 KB, 262 views)
Attached Files
File Type: asc ACA1 Bridge Mode DC Coupled.asc (8.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 11th December 2019, 09:34 PM   #8299
umut1001 is offline umut1001  Europe
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Hi.Because of i think this amp is one of the best (full n channel, i am excited ) and also gain is good i also wanted to make it better(without output caps) and also more power would be good.But i see damping is 10 and when making bridge it will be 5 and i think it is a bit low.My FR speakers are 86dB 4 inch and i think it needs more power to fill the room (i will make F.A.S.T and bottom frequency will be supplied by active preamp though) .If make balanced DF will be 5 again right?And can we make it without output coupling caps if make balanced?(if not i will use elna silmic 3300uf 50v caps which i bought in the past)Thank you and best regards

Last edited by umut1001; 11th December 2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11th December 2019, 10:11 PM   #8300
Extreme_Boky is offline Extreme_Boky
diyAudio Member

...just make Aleph J. Do not spend too much time and money on trying to make ACA sound like Aleph's... or similar.

Amp Camp Amp - ACAHide this!Advertise here!