Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2019, 08:10 PM   #8201
tooppy is online now tooppy  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TungstenAudio View Post
...... One does not listen to music in small snippets repeated in an attempt to discern minute differences. One listens to music to be entertained, and even lost in the flow of something transcendent of the mundane. .....
+100 on this one
Old 19th November 2019, 09:47 PM   #8202
Extreme_Boky is online now Extreme_Boky
diyAudio Member

Definitely, what seems superior during A/B blind listening test may feel different after a week or so of unintentional listening to either. The A/B results are also biased, level of tiredness being the main culprit.

I stopped doing A/B and started giving each component a chance to impress (or not) over a long period of time. It takes more time but I think the end result is more pleasing on a longer run.
Old 19th November 2019, 10:15 PM   #8203
Stanislav is online now Stanislav  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky View Post
Definitely, what seems superior during A/B blind listening test may feel different after a week or so of unintentional listening to either. The A/B results are also biased, level of tiredness being the main culprit.

I stopped doing A/B and started giving each component a chance to impress (or not) over a long period of time. It takes more time but I think the end result is more pleasing on a longer run.
Well said.
Spot on!
Old 20th November 2019, 07:11 AM   #8204
lifefordota is offline lifefordota
diyAudio Member

is there any discount for the component throughout the year? or other item from the diystore i wonder.
Old 20th November 2019, 07:35 AM   #8205
astromo is offline astromo  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifefordota View Post
is there any discount for the component throughout the year? or other item from the diystore i wonder.
Not a major feature of the store's landscape that I've noticed personally.

While not a stated value or philosophy of the store that I've seen, I wouldn't be surprised if this kind of thinking:
Deals, sales and other incentives ...
is relevant.

Could be wrong..
Old 20th November 2019, 08:10 AM   #8206
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllInMyHead View Post
Should I assume the class-D amps were identical?
Of course. eBay's finest.

Jan
Old 20th November 2019, 05:47 PM   #8207
tooppy is online now tooppy  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromo View Post
Not a major feature of the store's landscape that I've noticed personally.

While not a stated value or philosophy of the store that I've seen, I wouldn't be surprised if this kind of thinking:
Deals, sales and other incentives ...
is relevant.

Could be wrong..
Completly agree with Shiit !
A minimal ethic makes offering the right price therefore deals have no place, they are just marketing rubbish.
DIY store gives the right prices + a free unparalleled help, again asking for this sort of things here is just a mentality problem.
Old 20th November 2019, 07:00 PM   #8208
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermalAlchemy View Post
Fostex BK-20 folded horn kit cabine... FE206EN drivers Rated at 98db
The BK-20 is a horn for the FE206 (pre 2000 version, from before decent horn modelers), and is not the best cabinet for this driver. Do note that the FE206En is 96 dB, but as important is the kind of speaker that likes a bit higher output impedance amplifier (ie the impedance curve is synergistic with the amp output impedance and the FR (when measured with a low output impedance amplifier)).

I suspect that bridged ACA (output impedance is R*2), will be better than a singe (R) or a pair in parallel mono (R/2).

dave
Old 20th November 2019, 07:39 PM   #8209
ItsAllInMyHead is offline ItsAllInMyHead  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry for once again taking away from the ACA thread. I enjoy the conversation, but also I know how difficult it is to find relevant information about a build in an enormous thread. So, this will be my last post on the topic here. I’m happy to carry on in another thread. Lots of great thoughts.

@TungstenAudio's and @Extreme_Boky - I agree 100% re: how one might determine if they prefer a piece of gear over another and/or if it impresses them, and I love the comment re: why one listens. @TA - I echo @Toopy’s +100. Well said, sir.

Someone at BAF said something akin to "We like the sound of what we know". It struck me as interesting in the context of comparing gear that the advantage may go to the incumbent, particularly when A/Bing short snippets. It might take some time to "get used" to a new piece of kit and let it do its magic. I had usually considered the opposite to be true - essentially that I'm going to love whatever new shiny piece of gear I get... because it's new and shiny. I have no idea if either of those things are true. People are funny, and I'm a total loon.

Either way, I do blind listening over both short (less than the length of a song sometimes) and prolonged periods (weeks). I'm neither vilifying nor defending any particular method to do A/Bs or even if they should or should not be done. What people do in the privacy of their own home with their audio gear is none of my business.

However, here is what I considered a fun finding: I thought I preferred one amp over another after a few weeks listening to each of them. I listened a couple weeks with one, then a couple weeks with the other. Turns out - it was the same amp. Call it a false positive or beta error depending on one’s null hypothesis. Or… maybe Venus was in retrograde and that made me hear a difference.

I suppose what I'm getting at is - personally, I'd like to see if I can reliably tell the difference between some of my gear. If I can reliably tell the difference, is my preference consistent? If my preferences are consistent, is there anything common about the gear I prefer or *gasp* how it measures? I find that pursuit enjoyable. I can easily see why others would not. I can also see why many would question the intent nevertheless the methods.

Whether my antics have any foundation in science is a bit irrelevant. I do it for fun, and I would never be arrogant enough to assume that results I obtain would ever apply or even be relevant to anyone else. I actually find it funny when people ask my opinion re: how gear sounds. Heck for all any of you know, I could be deaf in one ear and have an effective hearing range from 1000 to 5000Hz.

In closing and most importantly, I’d never let my fun take away from allowing myself to be “entertained, and even lost in the flow of something transcendent of the mundane”.

After all, that’s what it’s all about.

and thanks for the fun.

Last edited by ItsAllInMyHead; 20th November 2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old 20th November 2019, 08:16 PM   #8210
myleftear is offline myleftear  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllInMyHead View Post
In closing and most importantly, I’d never let my fun take away from allowing myself to be “entertained, and even lost in the flow of something transcendent of the mundane”.

After all, that’s what it’s all about.

and thanks for the fun.

I like your writing very much. Good sense of humor, wonderful self-irony, and a perfect balance between enjoying playing with the gear and enjoying listening to the music.
so another one: !

Amp Camp Amp - ACAHide this!Advertise here!