Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2019, 02:17 PM   #8191
ItsAllInMyHead is offline ItsAllInMyHead  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark - I concur. I've had a very good time comparing the buffers. I do have preferences. Whether those preferences are founded in science... I dunno. It's much harder for me b/c I can't compare the boards blind. I don't have anyone that can swap out the boards for me. Maybe I need to build another... or... I need to get off my rear-end and "borrow" Dirk's switching idea... and put the switch on the back... or internal...

So at this moment, all I can do in a blind comparison is the M2x with my known "favorite" buffer(s) alongside other amps.

As a side note - IMHO one of the M2x design objectives was met. At least one if not more buffer options using current parts that offers a listening experience equal to or better than the buffer using the Toshiba parts. Moreover, it's FUN!

Last edited by ItsAllInMyHead; 19th November 2019 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Bad grammar... more coffee...
Old 19th November 2019, 05:10 PM   #8192
TungstenAudio is online now TungstenAudio  United States
diyAudio Member

I was thinking about the M2x as well. Amazing, the subtle differences between unity gain buffers of different design. I've even had fun swapping different types of JFets into the Mtn View. And I'm pretty sure my preferences don't always follow the one with the lowest measured distortion.

No, I don't worry about the whole double blind testing nonsense. That horse has been seriously beaten to death over many years. One does not listen to music in small snippets repeated in an attempt to discern minute differences. One listens to music to be entertained, and even lost in the flow of something transcendent of the mundane. I audition my M2x buffers over days, though often differences are apparent over the course of a single track.
Old 19th November 2019, 08:10 PM   #8193
tooppy is offline tooppy  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TungstenAudio View Post
...... One does not listen to music in small snippets repeated in an attempt to discern minute differences. One listens to music to be entertained, and even lost in the flow of something transcendent of the mundane. .....
+100 on this one
Old 19th November 2019, 09:47 PM   #8194
Extreme_Boky is online now Extreme_Boky
diyAudio Member

Definitely, what seems superior during A/B blind listening test may feel different after a week or so of unintentional listening to either. The A/B results are also biased, level of tiredness being the main culprit.

I stopped doing A/B and started giving each component a chance to impress (or not) over a long period of time. It takes more time but I think the end result is more pleasing on a longer run.
Old 19th November 2019, 10:15 PM   #8195
Stanislav is offline Stanislav  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky View Post
Definitely, what seems superior during A/B blind listening test may feel different after a week or so of unintentional listening to either. The A/B results are also biased, level of tiredness being the main culprit.

I stopped doing A/B and started giving each component a chance to impress (or not) over a long period of time. It takes more time but I think the end result is more pleasing on a longer run.
Well said.
Spot on!
Old 20th November 2019, 07:11 AM   #8196
lifefordota is offline lifefordota
diyAudio Member

is there any discount for the component throughout the year? or other item from the diystore i wonder.
Old 20th November 2019, 07:35 AM   #8197
astromo is offline astromo  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifefordota View Post
is there any discount for the component throughout the year? or other item from the diystore i wonder.
Not a major feature of the store's landscape that I've noticed personally.

While not a stated value or philosophy of the store that I've seen, I wouldn't be surprised if this kind of thinking:
Deals, sales and other incentives ...
is relevant.

Could be wrong..
Old 20th November 2019, 08:10 AM   #8198
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllInMyHead View Post
Should I assume the class-D amps were identical?
Of course. eBay's finest.

Jan
Old 20th November 2019, 05:47 PM   #8199
tooppy is offline tooppy  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromo View Post
Not a major feature of the store's landscape that I've noticed personally.

While not a stated value or philosophy of the store that I've seen, I wouldn't be surprised if this kind of thinking:
Deals, sales and other incentives ...
is relevant.

Could be wrong..
Completly agree with Shiit !
A minimal ethic makes offering the right price therefore deals have no place, they are just marketing rubbish.
DIY store gives the right prices + a free unparalleled help, again asking for this sort of things here is just a mentality problem.
Old 20th November 2019, 07:00 PM   #8200
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermalAlchemy View Post
Fostex BK-20 folded horn kit cabine... FE206EN drivers Rated at 98db
The BK-20 is a horn for the FE206 (pre 2000 version, from before decent horn modelers), and is not the best cabinet for this driver. Do note that the FE206En is 96 dB, but as important is the kind of speaker that likes a bit higher output impedance amplifier (ie the impedance curve is synergistic with the amp output impedance and the FR (when measured with a low output impedance amplifier)).

I suspect that bridged ACA (output impedance is R*2), will be better than a singe (R) or a pair in parallel mono (R/2).

dave

Amp Camp Amp - ACAHide this!Advertise here!