Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2019, 06:43 PM   #7921
Azookey is offline Azookey  United States
diyAudio Member

I find myself in a pickle. I love the balanced operation of the monoblocks, I love the distortion cancellation, extra power, etc. I also love my older NAD 1240 preamp. The preamp only has single ended outputs.

I need some opinions, search for a balanced preamp and hope i like it as much as the NAD... or get a DI solution like an ART box and use it with the NAD? What are the thoughts on something like a direct box? Does it alter the signal too much, add anything, etc? If not, any recommendations?

Thanks.
Old 21st October 2019, 08:03 PM   #7922
woody is online now woody
diyAudio Member

You might look at this .

PassDiy
Old 21st October 2019, 08:09 PM   #7923
Bfpca is offline Bfpca  Canada
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
If the DI box is passive and uses transformers you are depending on the box using good quality, transparent transformers. You could also DIY your own balanced to unbalanced converter using Jensen or Cinemag transformers which are known to be transparent. Jensen also makes DI boxes using their transformers but they are quite pricey. The active type DI boxes use op amps, so that is likely not where you want to go with a system having an ACA.
Old 21st October 2019, 08:24 PM   #7924
Zen Mod is online now Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azookey View Post
I find myself in a pickle. I love the balanced operation of the monoblocks, I love the distortion cancellation, extra power, etc. I also love my older NAD 1240 preamp. The preamp only has single ended outputs.

I need some opinions, search for a balanced preamp and hope i like it as much as the NAD... or get a DI solution like an ART box and use it with the NAD? What are the thoughts on something like a direct box? Does it alter the signal too much, add anything, etc? If not, any recommendations?

Thanks.
see in build thread and I believe - it must be covered somewhere - ACA is having built in SE to Bridge operation mode ..... thus you need just SE input

see small toggle switch on back of amp

no need for semi-solutions , when existing one is superlative to that

only premium solution (proper balanced preamp or high quality xformer with all impedance issues covered) is better

edit : it will be certainly wiser to toss NAD on curve (making happy some Kido) and build Iron Pumpkin ....... but look at price of that move ......... and it demands proper balanced sources , for full Trip to Heaven

Last edited by Zen Mod; 21st October 2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old 21st October 2019, 08:46 PM   #7925
David Garretson is offline David Garretson  United States
diyAudio Member

I have the ACA 1.6 version and am considering trying a pair of linear power supplies-- possibly the Chinese Zerozone 24V/5A on ebay @$165. I've had good results with the Zerozone in other applications. Just need to confirm the ACA DC input plug size. Is it 2.5mm/ID 5.5mm/OD?

Anyone else compare the Meanwell SMPS to a LPS?
Old 22nd October 2019, 07:08 AM   #7926
Loudthud is offline Loudthud  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
see in build thread and I believe - it must be covered somewhere - ACA is having built in SE to Bridge operation mode ..... thus you need just SE input

see small toggle switch on back of amp

no need for semi-solutions , when existing one is superlative to that
There is a significant THD penalty for using the switch vs balanced drive. See graph below or refer to post 7038 and 7040 in this thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACA_bridge_1.jpg (77.2 KB, 298 views)
Old 22nd October 2019, 08:01 AM   #7927
lifefordota is offline lifefordota
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudthud View Post
There is a significant THD penalty for using the switch vs balanced drive. See graph below or refer to post 7038 and 7040 in this thread.
therefore pairing with 8 ohm speaker is still better in overall ? compared to 4 ohm
Old 22nd October 2019, 05:47 PM   #7928
Tomcat1969 is offline Tomcat1969  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi folks. I'm totally new to this. I want to build ACA monoblocks.

My phono.stage is a DIY EAR834. Can I run the ACA's from it?

Thanks guys.
Old 23rd October 2019, 08:05 AM   #7929
Loudthud is offline Loudthud  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifefordota View Post
therefore pairing with 8 ohm speaker is still better in overall ? compared to 4 ohm
I'm not sure I understand your question. Bridged mode will provide more power to an 8 or 16 Ohm load compared to what could be achieved by a single channel. For a 4 Ohm load, it's hard to predict and I didn't test with a 4 Ohm load in either Bridged, parallel or normal single channel configuration. Parallel mode would certainly do better with a 4 Ohm load that dips below 4 Ohms like some ESL speaker systems.

In bridged mode with a 4 Ohm load, I would be tempted to increase the idle current to the point allowed by my heatsinks.
Old 23rd October 2019, 08:46 AM   #7930
mc297 is offline mc297  Italy
diyAudio Member

Let say that the ACA #1 had a 1W 1kHz THD of about 0.7%, what is the distortion of ACA 1.6 at 1W (19V supply)?

Amp Camp Amp - ACAHide this!Advertise here!