Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2019, 06:45 AM   #7871
Alan4411 is offline Alan4411  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon f View Post
What is the difference between version 1.1 and 1.6?
If your board is marked ''Amp Camp 1.1'' - the only differences are slight layout changes on the ''ACA 1.6'' board. Component values are the same.

If you built it from a V1.5 kit, then the difference between the V1.5 kit (with Amp Camp 1.1 board) and V1.6 kit (with ACA 1.6 board) is the power supply. The V1.5 kit has a 19 volt supply and the V1.6 kit has a 24 volt supply for a small increase in output power.

You can replace a 19 volt PSU with a 24 volt version if needed. Just reset the 'Bias' to 12 volts instead of 10 volts. See step 52 of the V1.6 build guide Amp Camp Amp V1.6 Build Guide - diyAudio Guides

PS. If you do have an earlier version of the board i.e. ''Amp Camp #1'' then there are considerable layout changes. But the basic circuit is the same.
Differences were the feedback resistor R12 was 68K and is now 39k. And R15 (2.2k ohms) was not fitted on earlier boards. To fit R15 (recommended) on a board without location holes please see post #2 here: ACA illustrated build guide You can use a 24 volt supply here too as long as the 'Bias' is set to 12 volts.

Last edited by Alan4411; 9th October 2019 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Amp Camp #1 info added
Old 9th October 2019, 06:46 AM   #7872
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralCoast View Post
Please do provide more info about the "cap multipliers". I'm not familiar with that term.
Have a read at this:

Capacitance Multiplier Power Supply Filter
Old 9th October 2019, 07:54 AM   #7873
Extreme_Boky is offline Extreme_Boky
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laverda View Post
Interesting, which SMPS did you use.
It is the SMPS that comes with the ACA kit. I removed it from the plastic box and soldered few wires. The switch that comes with the ACA kit is good for 5A / 250V AC and it works no problem because it switches the "low current side" - the AC side.

For all those interested in doing this - placing the SMPS inside the ACA, be warned: this requires work with lethal voltages, proceed ONLY if you wish to do so, and at your own risk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2860.jpg (204.9 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2864.jpg (173.2 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2865.jpg (93.3 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2884.jpg (136.2 KB, 286 views)

Last edited by Extreme_Boky; 9th October 2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 9th October 2019, 08:49 AM   #7874
laverda is online now laverda  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky View Post
It is the SMPS that comes with the ACA kit. I removed it from the plastic box and soldered few wires. The switch that comes with the ACA kit is good for 5A / 250V AC and it works no problem because it switches the "low current side" - the AC side.

For all those interested in doing this - placing the SMPS inside the ACA, be warned: this requires work with lethal voltages, proceed ONLY if you wish to do so, and at your own risk.
Now I see....neat solution.
Old 9th October 2019, 09:24 AM   #7875
Skylar88 is offline Skylar88  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralCoast Click the image to open in full size.
Please do provide more info about the "cap multipliers". I'm not familiar with that term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post

Also have a look at post #5630 where I described how I've implemented the Cap Mx in my ACA.
Old 10th October 2019, 02:46 AM   #7876
CentralCoast is offline CentralCoast  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar88 View Post
Also have a look at post #5630 where I described how I've implemented the Cap Mx in my ACA.
Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 07:49 PM   #7877
laverda is online now laverda  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Just out of curiosity, I wired up another MW LRS-150-24v supply effectively making a pair of mono blocks in the one case, for less than $20 I had to give it go.

Click the image to open in full size.

A bit DIY and a work in progress...

Was it worth it?, yes it was for me, not a huge lift but discernible, bottom end grunt has a tad more weight top sweeter. Though I am a bit surprised (or not) as the ACA (with tungsten mods by the way) sounds better than my F5t or Id rather, after a few weeks, listen to the ACA than the F5t. WTF!!!

Last edited by laverda; 10th October 2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10th October 2019, 08:04 PM   #7878
Zen Mod is online now Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
pple are disputing benefits of dual mono/mono block approach ......

as if there anything new , to be disputed , again ....

Old 10th October 2019, 11:11 PM   #7879
Steve Luck is offline Steve Luck  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Questions Re the shop universal power supply boards - One set of boards would do a pair of ACA?
Transformers for the above One 300VA transformer with two 24 volt outputs or two single 150VA with one output each?

Considering building one box with enough boards and outlets to do two ACA the Korg and maybe a Pearl two phono setup in the future - What would work?

Thanks

Steve
Old 10th October 2019, 11:49 PM   #7880
TungstenAudio is offline TungstenAudio  United States
diyAudio Member

A transformer with 20V secondaries will yield about 24.5V rails using conventional diode bridge rectifiers and CRC filtration. A single “Universal PSU” board could be used for a pair of positive supply rails, as long as one was careful to reverse the polarity of the capacitors on one side of the board. I like 300VA transformers for this, but 250VA should suffice.

Amp Camp Amp - ACAHide this!Advertise here!