Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2019, 05:31 PM   #7751
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Ask that question in one of the F5 threads.
Old 9th September 2019, 06:08 PM   #7752
Fidget is offline Fidget  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm looking at the F5 for the next build. Any thoughts on that? Specific to noobiness...
I've built 2 ACA's and am almost done with my F5.

The F5 PCB's are done sans transistors (need to be mounted to a water block that I'm still building before being soldered onto the boards). I wrapped up the PSU yesterday.

I spent way more time on the PSU than I did the amp. The F5 kit supplied by the diyAudio Store is so good, it makes it quite easy - paint by numbers, almost. The PSU boards are terrific, and there's a ton of documentation and help available, but I had to spend a lot of time with datasheets to cross-reference out of date spec'ed parts to currently available ones.

I learned a lot, and enjoyed myself. If you're into that, it's going to be great. If you're frustrated by looking up parts, PM me and I'll give you a jump start.
Old 10th September 2019, 01:32 AM   #7753
batty is offline batty  Australia
diyAudio Member

I have ordered the ACA full kit, now I need to teach my wife to solder, this will be her first electronics DIY project.

Should be fun (I hope).
Old 10th September 2019, 01:37 AM   #7754
Fidget is offline Fidget  United States
diyAudio Member

If your wife enjoys listening to music, I think she'll find it a whole new experience to listen to an amp that she built.

Best of luck to you both!
Old 10th September 2019, 04:39 PM   #7755
genechow is offline genechow
diyAudio Member

I just built an ACA from a full kit this weekend. The kit is very nicely put together and it was a pleasure to build. I used the recommended Cardas solder and I'll never use anything else again.

I've started listening to it and it sounds good. It's loud enough for me using 94db speakers in a large room. The heatsinks are at about 120 degrees with 75 degree ambient.

All in all, a great intro to class A for me.
Old 10th September 2019, 09:13 PM   #7756
diyAudio Member

I plan to use the ACA (once the wife had built it) with a Squeezebox touch and Usher S-520 speakers in a largish shed where the wife does her craft.
My main system uses a B1 mesmerize and M2X for amplification.
Old 11th September 2019, 03:38 PM   #7757
mraudioguru is offline mraudioguru  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batty View Post
I plan to use the ACA (once the wife had built it) with a Squeezebox touch and Usher S-520 speakers in a largish shed where the wife does her craft.
My main system uses a B1 mesmerize and M2X for amplification.
Probably the only "SheShed" that has an ACA! Hope she doesn't plan to play very loud. IMHO, the ACA and the Usher's wouldn't have been my first choice, however, at lower volumes, she should be fine.

I'm assuming she probably will use it as background listening, which would be perfect.
Old 12th September 2019, 03:15 AM   #7758
diyAudio Member

Yes, she always has background music on.
Old 12th September 2019, 03:25 AM   #7759
SaiR is offline SaiR
diyAudio Member

Default XLR Input Bridged - Buzzing

Hi, I finished putting together 2 ACA amps. What a wonderful sounding amp! I love it! I am however having an issue using the XLR input to use the 2 amps bridged. Basically, I hear a loud buzz from both amps through the speakers with a little sound in the background.

Whatever I messed up, I think I consistently messed up on both amps!

Any help is much appreciated! The amps work well and sound great if I use the white RCA inputs with the switch in the back flipped up.
Old 12th September 2019, 09:54 AM   #7760
astromo is offline astromo  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiR View Post
Hi, I finished putting together 2 ACA amps. What a wonderful sounding amp! I love it! I am however having an issue using the XLR input to use the 2 amps bridged. Basically, I hear a loud buzz from both amps through the speakers with a little sound in the background.

Whatever I messed up, I think I consistently messed up on both amps!

Any help is much appreciated! The amps work well and sound great if I use the white RCA inputs with the switch in the back flipped up.
Check the base plan:

Click the image to open in full size.

I think you're off the mark slightly.

If that doesn't make sense. Take a photo of how you're set up and let's see what we can work up together.

Amp Camp Amp - ACAHide this!Advertise here!