Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2019, 10:14 PM   #7301
petrnyc is offline petrnyc
diyAudio Member

Tungstenaudio, Duh, Absolutely... I am just trying to use what I have ...
onto F5 v3 turbo... Just kidding...
thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 12:16 AM   #7302
TungstenAudio is offline TungstenAudio  United States
diyAudio Member

@petrnyc
Now that you are thinking about voltage and heatsinks, it’s also time to think about the current needed to drive your speakers. The quiescent current in the class A output stage will need to be greater than this.
The stock ACA runs at about 1.45 to 1.5 Amps. I run mine at 1.6 Amps. Figuring out your current requirement will also help determine how big your heatsinks need to be.
Old 14th March 2019, 02:03 AM   #7303
TonyTecson is offline TonyTecson  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
it is hard not to make the Camp amp not work....building this amp is as easy as counting 1,2,3.....all our builds worked the first time, after setting the output node to 1/2 of B+....
Old 14th March 2019, 08:23 AM   #7304
Alan4411 is offline Alan4411  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTecson View Post
it is hard not to make the Camp amp not work....
Tony,
That's a double negative, but I think we know you mean, ''it is hard not to make the Camp amp work...''.

I guess the majority of builders do have a fully working ACA first time by following 6L6's excellent Build Guide.
But considering this is often the first kit for many builders, there have to be some failures... (Mostly poor soldering / part in wrong places etc.)

Out of interest, does someone, Jason or Jim know how many kits have been sent out? It might give a clue as to the success rate?
Old 14th March 2019, 08:45 AM   #7305
laserscrape is offline laserscrape
diyAudio Member

I think he meant its not hard not to make the Camp amp not work
Old 14th March 2019, 08:49 AM   #7306
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
or it was........ easy to make ACA to work

Old 14th March 2019, 11:39 AM   #7307
undefinedza is offline undefinedza  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan4411 View Post
undefinedza
Ummm, I see what has probably happened...

Looking at the first picture, with the delay board fitted, both outputs are shorted to ground.

Remember before you installed the delay board, the blue wires went to the Red speaker socket from the + OUT pads on the ACA boards. (This is a bit confusing as the + OUT pads are actually at 0 / GND volts.)
And the Black wire went to the Black socket from the - OUT on the ACA boards. This is the actual 'output' and NOT the ground connection.

Now if you look at the delay board picture the Blue wires from the Red sockets go to the GND terminals between ROUT and LOUT. That is correct, the blue wires are at 0 or Ground volts. So now the GND terminals between RIN and LIN are now at 0 volts too.

Unfortunately you have connected the Black 'output' wires from the ACA (- OUT pads) to the GND terminals causing a short ... It should have been the red wires from the + OUT pads connected to them. A bit confusing as I said.

What next?
Do both Q1 and Q2 get hot or just one?

Look at the Troubleshooting section 56 in the build guide for typical voltage and resistance readings. Let us know what you get.

Best go from there, Alan

Yes! This was it. Thank you.

I did the impedance measurements in section 56 and found that things were more or less correct. Then switched the outputs around as you suggested, and bam, it's singing again.

Very impressed that it survived that!

Now rebiasing to 12V before closing it up

Thank you very much Alan4411 and RafaPolit for the help.
Old 14th March 2019, 12:13 PM   #7308
Skylar88 is offline Skylar88  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserscrape View Post
I think he meant its not hard not to make the Camp amp not work
At the risk of being perceived as flogging a dead horse, I think it should be: "It is hard to make the Amp Camp Amp not work."

And I agree with that statement. Even after designing my own PCB's in KiCad (with minimal electronics knowledge) and also not having access to Mouser or DigiKey components, mine worked first time. But then, it is quite a simple circuit. What could go wrong? ...apart from bad soldering.
Old 14th March 2019, 04:08 PM   #7309
mcgillroy is offline mcgillroy
diyAudio Member

Would a 150x150x28mm heatsink work for a 24V ACA? The original heatsinks are 200x80x40 so less area but deeper fins.

I can get a bunch of these for free but after looking at them I was worried about the lack of depth. No C/W rating available.

Last edited by mcgillroy; 14th March 2019 at 04:17 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 14th March 2019, 04:11 PM   #7310
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Should be fine.

Go for it!!

Amp Camp Amp - ACAHide this!Advertise here!