Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2019, 01:55 AM   #7161
tjw59 is offline tjw59  United States
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=maf_au;5708534]Good idea about the caps on the Roger. It is the Roger LS7 and bought it in around 1994.

Will test the system with our old amp, it never had the crackles though.

We drive Heil Air Motion Transformers with our ACA's. And it points out lots of ugly stuff in today's recording compression schemes. (.mp3 in particular) that we can't hear when we drive the AMT's with the passive crossovers and an Emotiva XPA 200.

Using a CD or Vinyl, though. It is positively stunning.

Still replace those 25 year old caps. And fiddle with different source material with your tests.
Old 24th February 2019, 05:41 AM   #7162
RCV is offline RCV
diyAudio Member

Hi! I'm from the Philippines. I ordered two ACA kits. I just completed one, and it's working now and sounds great.
Old 24th February 2019, 11:51 AM   #7163
astromo is offline astromo  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCV View Post
Hi! I'm from the Philippines. I ordered two ACA kits. I just completed one, and it's working now and sounds great.

Cool. Wait 'til you get the 2nd one, quadruple the fun..
Old 24th February 2019, 06:20 PM   #7164
Hificat101 is offline Hificat101  United States
diyAudio Member

Question. I'm planning on building a set of CSS Criton 1TDs this year. My plan to drive them was to start with a Hypex or Ice Power class D amp, then at some point biamp them. I had hoped to build a pair of ACA's to drive the tweeters, but the tweeter in the Critons is 4 ohm, and doesnt come in an 8 ohm variant.

The question is, the ACA is not designed to drive a 4 ohm load in balanced monoblock form, but would it make a difference if it were only fed crossed over signal over 1.8Khz?
Old 24th February 2019, 10:33 PM   #7165
tjw59 is offline tjw59  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Your mileage may vary - however:

I drive a 4 ohm loads with my ACA.

If your drivers are reasonably efficient to outstandingly efficient you won't need but a half a watt or so. Having used both active and passive crossovers. Crossed around 800 hz - ACA does an outstanding job driving my Heil AMT's and in the room I listen it is plenty of sound. With the stock crossovers, driving the woofers and tweeters and the crossover point around 1 kHz. It sounded pretty good.

Current setup uses an active crossover. Driving the AMT drivers with two ACAs configured as monoblocks: and use an Emotiva XPA-200 to drive the way less efficient ESS woofers. It is class A/B. But is a better choice for the back emf of the woofer.

All rooms are not the same as this one so cant vouch for how your setup will work. But can say the ACAs have run non stop hours and hours for about 8 months now working into the AMTs which are more like a 4 to 5 ohm resistor electrically. And they keep on sounding incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hificat101 View Post
Question. I'm planning on building a set of CSS Criton 1TDs this year. My plan to drive them was to start with a Hypex or Ice Power class D amp, then at some point biamp them. I had hoped to build a pair of ACA's to drive the tweeters, but the tweeter in the Critons is 4 ohm, and doesnt come in an 8 ohm variant.

The question is, the ACA is not designed to drive a 4 ohm load in balanced monoblock form, but would it make a difference if it were only fed crossed over signal over 1.8Khz?

Last edited by tjw59; 24th February 2019 at 10:35 PM. Reason: correction
Old 25th February 2019, 12:07 AM   #7166
Hificat101 is offline Hificat101  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw59 View Post
I drive a 4 ohm loads with my ACA.

If your drivers are reasonably efficient to outstandingly efficient you won't need but a half a watt or so. Having used both active and passive crossovers. Crossed around 800 hz - ACA does an outstanding job driving my Heil AMT's and in the room I listen it is plenty of sound. With the stock crossovers, driving the woofers and tweeters and the crossover point around 1 kHz. It sounded pretty good.

Current setup uses an active crossover. Driving the AMT drivers with two ACAs configured as monoblocks: and use an Emotiva XPA-200 to drive the way less efficient ESS woofers. It is class A/B. But is a better choice for the back emf of the woofer.

All rooms are not the same as this one so cant vouch for how your setup will work. But can say the ACAs have run non stop hours and hours for about 8 months now working into the AMTs which are more like a 4 to 5 ohm resistor electrically. And they keep on sounding incredible.
Thanks so much for the reply. Looks like I'm back in business. It seemed to me that driving a tweeter at 4 ohms would be much less demanding than driving a full range, multi driver speaker or woofer. That helps me narrow my options for the class D amp. I'm thinking a Hypex amp that will do around 125W @ 8 ohms would be fine for both full range use, and be good to go with 18 or 20W from a pair of ACAs. I thought it was strange to think of using a class D amp, and a pure class A amp on the same speaker, but I think it may sound awesome.
Old 25th February 2019, 02:47 AM   #7167
RCV is offline RCV
diyAudio Member

Just want to share my ACA. The 2nd kit is still in the works
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190224_102112.jpg (701.6 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg 20190224_102003.jpg (893.4 KB, 380 views)
Old 25th February 2019, 03:55 AM   #7168
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
4ohm with balanced ACA is absolutely no problem.
Old 25th February 2019, 11:57 PM   #7169
RCV is offline RCV
diyAudio Member

Default Maximum operating hours

I notice that the ACA gets hot easily. Is there a recommended maximum operating hours for this good sounding amplifier to avoid overheating?
Old 26th February 2019, 12:31 AM   #7170
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

Just measure the heatsink temp. Around 50c is okay forever. This was just discussed a page or two back. So there is a bit more info if you search.

Amp Camp Amp - ACAHide this!Advertise here!