Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2019, 02:52 PM   #7081
plsvn is offline plsvn  Italy
diyAudio Member

ooops, sorry @SiliconTi I have the *no* front hole version

my bad
Old 24th January 2019, 11:30 AM   #7082
Ugg10 is offline Ugg10  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Did a search and did not find what I needed so apologies if that has already been sorted, please direct me to the right place if that is the case.

Has anyone posted or can post a simplified wiring diagram for an ACA v1.6 for only a balanced mono design i.e. front power switch, rear panel only power in, XLR in and +/- speaker out.

Thanks in advance.
Old 24th January 2019, 01:10 PM   #7083
6L6 is online now 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp V1.6 Build Guide - diyAudio Guides

Step 34 photo 2

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 24th January 2019, 01:17 PM   #7084
Ugg10 is offline Ugg10  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

@6L6, many thanks, after a more extensive search I have just found a simplified version removing the RCA and unused speaker posts here - Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6

Post #332.
Old 24th January 2019, 02:21 PM   #7085
6L6 is online now 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
This diagram. Yes, that's correct.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 26th January 2019, 11:53 AM   #7086
odamone is offline odamone
diyAudio Member

I have a pair of KEF R900 speakers and a pair of Amp camps. Should I run the Amp camps in bridged mono or parallel mono? Balanced is not currently an option. The speakers are 90db, nominal impedance is 8ohms and minimum is 3.7ohms.

Also, any reason not to bi Amp this speaker with another pair of acas? If I did, would it change the ideal monoblock mode? I plan to use a Schiit preamp to control volume. Their preamps have two sets of single ended outputs, always on and identical.

Thanks!
Old 26th January 2019, 02:12 PM   #7087
TungstenAudio is offline TungstenAudio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamone View Post
I have a pair of KEF R900 speakers and a pair of Amp camps. Should I run the Amp camps in bridged mono or parallel mono? Balanced is not currently an option. The speakers are 90db, nominal impedance is 8ohms and minimum is 3.7ohms.

Thanks!
The simple solution (and fun too!) is to try it both ways and see which you like best. It’s not really possible to predict 100% what will work best for your speakers. You might also consider the tweak which raises the input impedance of the amp. I have shown one way with the “Premium ACA” mods, and there are others as well. The 24 Volt power supply seems to work best in almost all cases.
Old 27th January 2019, 06:13 AM   #7088
spiggs is offline spiggs  United States
diyAudio Member

Another one lives! Just fired it up yesterday and it sounds amazing! A few notes on gain and power from my experience since this was something I was concerned about. I am running FF105WK speakers (88db sensitive) plus a sub and have a cap on the input side to roll off starting around 120Hz. For a pre I am using a Schiit Vali 2, Mani for phono pre and a Modi Multibit for digital inputs. Living room is 16' x 19' and I sit 10' away from the speakers.

I have 2 gain settings, 2 db (1.2) and 14 db (5). On the high gain setting it will drive the amp to clipping, at least this is where I notice distortion, around 90% volume. I find this extremely loud, a volume far higher than I would ever consider using. At low gain the max volume is still higher than what I would ever use, after around the 80% mark to me it's just "lets see what this thing will do" level. As always your mileage may vary but this is my experience.

One more thing. If you are like I was a year ago a bit intimidated and wondering if you can put one of these together do it. I am an accountant by trade and completely unskilled in the world of audio electronics even at an amateur level. You can do it. Thanks all for your efforts making something like this available to the less skilled like me, it is fantastic!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aca_2.jpg (596.3 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg aca_3.jpg (608.3 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg aca_1.jpg (805.4 KB, 239 views)
Old 27th January 2019, 06:44 AM   #7089
Alan4411 is offline Alan4411  Wales
diyAudio Member

spiggs,
Congratulations, nice build and good to have your 'experience' back story.
Alan
Old 27th January 2019, 03:10 PM   #7090
Centurion53 is offline Centurion53  United States
diyAudio Member

Default ACA power supply ?

Hello to all and thanks for the vast information and support from all of you! I just completed assembly of my v1.6 boards and am awaiting delivery of the ACA chassis. I am planning on building a power supply for it, using the universal power supply board. Because of space limitations inside the case I was planning on powering the amp using one half of the PSU board for both channels. Would this be an acceptable approach? Thanks!

Amp Camp Amp - ACAHide this!Advertise here!