Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2018, 06:11 AM   #6761
gary s is offline gary s  Australia
diyAudio Member

Welcome kd7vw, that all should match very well and still play "loud", also you should have no soldering issues at all, which the same cannot be said from some of the other photo's posted recently in various threads!
Old 8th December 2018, 08:09 AM   #6762
jyg is offline jyg  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7vw View Post
Greetings,
I just ordered a complete ACA Kit. I plan on using it to drive my Klipsch Cornwalls 102db/w they are Crites modified series 2.
Welcome kd7vw, it should work very well with your Cornwalls. I use my ACA with Klipsch FORTE III (99db sensitivity) loudspeakers. I am very pleased with the combination.
Old 8th December 2018, 11:23 AM   #6763
mpeg2 is online now mpeg2  United States
diyAudio Member

kd7vw - That will sound wonderful. I have a 30 year old pair of Cornwalls being driving by an ACA (with a bottlehead Smash as a preamp) - the combination is excellent.

I've preordered a Whammy to use as a preamp (and headphone amp) partly to see how it works out and partly to enjoy the build.

Rich
Old 8th December 2018, 11:36 AM   #6764
Dennis Hui is offline Dennis Hui  Canada
Hoopy Frood
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Welcome kd7vw. Be sure to post some pictures and your impressions when you're
done.

Dennis
Old 8th December 2018, 12:00 PM   #6765
MEPER is offline MEPER  Denmark
diyAudio Member

It could also be interesting with a short video to watch how a perfect NASA soldering technique looks like...…what kind of solder they use etc......
Old 8th December 2018, 01:05 PM   #6766
jaaptina is offline jaaptina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaPolit View Post
I'm one chassis away of testing the WHAMMY headphone amplifier modified to have a line out to be a PRE for my ACA.

Other than that, I know very little of DIY, I'm very new to this.

I did purchase a Schiit Magni and it does a decent job at high gain. In low gain I found I was almost requiring to keep it a full volume. Its $99 so I thought it won't hurt to give it a try.

I'll report further on the WHAMMY as a PRE, hopefully by the end of this week, or sooner if I get a bit irresponsible with work .

Rafa.
Hi Rafa, any news on the WHAMMY as a pre for ACA? I might order a WHAMMY kit if it's a good match. What is the gain of the WHAMMY as a pre amp?
Old 9th December 2018, 05:35 AM   #6767
RafaPolit is offline RafaPolit  Ecuador
diyAudio Member

I'll answer but take this with a pinch of salt... my Whammy is 2 days old!!

Fast answer: Perfect Match!

For my setup, just exactly what I wanted. Built mostly with the kit parts and exactly as per the recommended BOM, the Whammy has 14dB of gain. For my setup, this yields perfect volume at 12 o'clock, and nice margin up and and down for whatever needs.

Sound is superb!

Now... after I finished my cable soldering, Wayne has gone on record saying he would put 20 to 100 Ohm resistors in series with the pre output to prevent oscillation.

I have not done that, have no way to measure if that oscillation is present (nor would I know how to 'detect it'), and I don't know if that would change the gain with the pre output.

So, still a bit early to give a final 'green light' all the way... but it is working beautifully!!!

I did use a different OpAmp and I am planning on doing some tests with other OpAmps, but I'll record all this in the Whammy thread.

So, for about $200, I couldn't be happier. And since I had all from the ACA chassis, the chassis cost me $10 of cutting and folding the pieces.

I'll post pictures on he Whammy soon.

Best regards,
Rafa.
Old 9th December 2018, 07:13 AM   #6768
Skylar88 is offline Skylar88  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I really don't understand terms like '12 o'clock' or '2 o'clock'. Surely, not all potentiometer knobs are set equally. Or should it be?

Wouldn't percentage of travel, like 50% or 75% be more logical?
Old 9th December 2018, 12:14 PM   #6769
Bfpca is offline Bfpca  Canada
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaPolit View Post
I'll answer but take this with a pinch of salt... my Whammy is 2 days old!!

Fast answer: Perfect Match!

For my setup, just exactly what I wanted. Built mostly with the kit parts and exactly as per the recommended BOM, the Whammy has 14dB of gain. For my setup, this yields perfect volume at 12 o'clock, and nice margin up and and down for whatever needs.

Sound is superb!

Now... after I finished my cable soldering, Wayne has gone on record saying he would put 20 to 100 Ohm resistors in series with the pre output to prevent oscillation.

I have not done that, have no way to measure if that oscillation is present (nor would I know how to 'detect it'), and I don't know if that would change the gain with the pre output.

So, still a bit early to give a final 'green light' all the way... but it is working beautifully!!!

I did use a different OpAmp and I am planning on doing some tests with other OpAmps, but I'll record all this in the Whammy thread.

So, for about $200, I couldn't be happier. And since I had all from the ACA chassis, the chassis cost me $10 of cutting and folding the pieces.

I'll post pictures on he Whammy soon.

Best regards,
Rafa.
Rafa

Congratulations on another successful build!! I would put those resistors in there now rather than risk oscillations happening. Depending on the frequency and amplitude, an oscillation could cause serious problems. Even at low levels they can cause strange sounds and odd listening impressions which is not what you want when testing your new diy creation.
This is especially relevant given that the very experienced designer of the Whammy is recommending the resistors.
Old 9th December 2018, 02:06 PM   #6770
Merijn is offline Merijn  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Max PSU voltage ACA 1.6

Hi All!

First of all, thanx for this brilliant little piece of fun! I'm having a great time buildig this gem

I just have this one question that bothers me... If we went from a 19V laptop PSU to a 24V lighting PSU, that's 25% increase. Apperently there is quite some range. What would be the optimum voltage performance-wise?

It must be written somewhere in this massive thread, but I cannot find it by just using the search function...

Amp Camp Amp - ACAHide this!Advertise here!