Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2018, 05:22 AM   #6751
Skylar88 is online now Skylar88  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc11 View Post
rnjorge, nothing to be surprised in your experience. Yes, some systems interact together in a much better way than others do. The quality of the music you hear will be changed when you use different preamps or DAC's and the same amps and speakers. I agree your ears should be in control to decide what equipment you are going to use. By the way the B1 is a Pass design same as the ACA's. The Saga is a Schiit design, not the same as the ACA's..
Having built both the B1 and ACA, I'm of the opinion that they are not as good a match as being implied above. The ACA really needs a preamp with gain, and especially so for symphonic music and earlier recordings of say, Pink Floyd. My speakers are 94dB, which is above average sensitivity, btw.

Urged on by a friend, I then built the AKSA Lender preamp with 15dB gain. Wow, what a difference? The ACA came alive and sounds much better than it did with the B1.

I'm not knocking the B1. It's a great preamp/buffer. It has to be - it's a Pass design. But it's just not a good match for the ACA which needs a preamp with gain.

Last edited by Skylar88; 6th December 2018 at 05:26 AM.
Old 6th December 2018, 06:24 AM   #6752
RCV is offline RCV
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary s View Post
RCV - go to Rod Elliot's website (google Rod Elliot audio) and all the info is there for all his projects which you can print out. You can then buy his PCB's for the projects as well - but you have to supply all the parts yourself.

Gary S, thanks a lot!
Old 6th December 2018, 07:42 AM   #6753
gary s is offline gary s  Australia
diyAudio Member

No problems at all RCV - it is a good website for reference, crammed with a lot of useful info on all sorts of gear related to audio.
Old 6th December 2018, 10:14 AM   #6754
Mixi is offline Mixi  Europe
diyAudio Member

also you might want to check out this thread with a lot of information on the p88 pre.
Old 6th December 2018, 06:07 PM   #6755
Mazeppa is offline Mazeppa  United States
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfpca View Post
For the sake of clarity I think we should use the proper terms when discussing gain and voltage levels. There seems to be some confusion here over terms. Gain is Voltage out/voltage in and is expressed as a number or also commonly in Db. It does not include the unit Volts. So a gain of 1 has no units and should not be stated as a gain of 1v. If for example the input to an amplifier is 1 volt and the amplifier gain is 5 then the output is 5 volts.
Well said.
Gain(number) = Vout divided by Vin.

Should have started there in my explanation.
Old 7th December 2018, 05:28 AM   #6756
73 and a 3rd is offline 73 and a 3rd  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazeppa View Post
Well said.
Gain(number) = Vout divided by Vin.

Should have started there in my explanation.
You know, when you read this stuff over and over some of it starts to make sense.

I think...
Old 7th December 2018, 01:59 PM   #6757
Bfpca is offline Bfpca  Canada
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73 and a 3rd View Post
You know, when you read this stuff over and over some of it starts to make sense.

I think...
That’s a good thing. I know it may seem like I am being picky about how terms are used but it makes it much harder for the inexperiened to learn when basic concepts are not presented in a standard way.

Last edited by Bfpca; 7th December 2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 7th December 2018, 03:33 PM   #6758
Mazeppa is offline Mazeppa  United States
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfpca View Post
That’s a good thing. I know it may seem like I am being picky about how terms are used but it makes it much harder for the inexperiened to learn when basic concepts are not presented in a standard way.
+1
Old 8th December 2018, 05:20 AM   #6759
kd7vw is offline kd7vw  United States
diyAudio Member

Greetings,
I just ordered a complete ACA Kit. I plan on using it to drive my Klipsch Cornwalls 102db/w they are Crites modified series 2. I will also be using my Carver C1 preamp to start with, I modified years ago, very clean. I'm NASA Certified solder tech. I have built speakers for decades. I just wanted to say Hi.
Old 8th December 2018, 05:42 AM   #6760
RafaPolit is offline RafaPolit  Ecuador
diyAudio Member

Welcome kd7vw! You will love the ACA and, for someone with your background, it would be like boiling an egg! Also, with the sensitivity of your speakers, it will drive them beautifully! Looking forward to your impressions.

Welcome again,
Rafa.

Amp Camp Amp - ACAHide this!Advertise here!