Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2018, 05:24 PM   #6661
Mixi is offline Mixi  Europe
diyAudio Member

thanks guys. sometimes I'm just amazed at how quickly questions are answered on this forum!
Old 27th November 2018, 12:38 PM   #6662
Skylar88 is online now Skylar88  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggie View Post
Go my boards built up,

going for a PSU in the case... looking snug!

Sign in - Google Accounts
Can't see the images. Is there a problem with the link perhaps?
Old 27th November 2018, 03:00 PM   #6663
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
A few years after doing this with our first daughter, it was time to build a music system with our second daughter. She just turned 11 and has a growing interest in music and all things science related. So, I gathered all of the necessary parts and did the pre-work of fabricating an amplifier chassis and matching set of speaker cabinets for her. She was THRILLED to open a present with all of the parts for an Amp Camp Amp and a pair of speakers!

We spent part of the weekend with the soldering iron making stinky smoke at the kitchen table. She measured all of the parts, bent all of the resistor legs so they'd fit in the boards, applied the solder, and trimmed things flush on the other side. I had previously cut, drilled, and finished a nice chunk of figured walnut to serve as the chassis.

After the amp was completed, we moved on to the speakers. They are made from 18mm BB ply and a slab of walnut for the front baffle. We stuffed the cabinets, soldered the binding posts, wired the drivers (Mark Audio CHR-70), and then secured everything to cabinets.

She was VERY excited to have built her own amplifier and speakers! She kept asking my wife to take pictures while we worked so she can show her friends at school. Tonight we'll get everything set up in her bedroom and have our first listen.

After five years, our first daughter has started dropping hints that she doesn't think her amplifier goes loud enough any more (she's 15 now). My wife and I seem to disagree...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7020.JPG (340.7 KB, 461 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7037.JPG (341.6 KB, 466 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7040.JPG (310.9 KB, 464 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7045.JPG (345.5 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7046.JPG (270.6 KB, 441 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7065.JPG (335.3 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7069.JPG (668.1 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7071.JPG (222.1 KB, 311 views)
Old 27th November 2018, 03:05 PM   #6664
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

well done!
Old 27th November 2018, 03:09 PM   #6665
oc11 is offline oc11  United States
diyAudio Member

Great way to get your kids involved!
Old 27th November 2018, 03:15 PM   #6666
ellisr63 is offline ellisr63  Mexico
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
A few years after doing this with our first daughter, it was time to build a music system with our second daughter. She just turned 11 and has a growing interest in music and all things science related. So, I gathered all of the necessary parts and did the pre-work of fabricating an amplifier chassis and matching set of speaker cabinets for her. She was THRILLED to open a present with all of the parts for an Amp Camp Amp and a pair of speakers!

We spent part of the weekend with the soldering iron making stinky smoke at the kitchen table. She measured all of the parts, bent all of the resistor legs so they'd fit in the boards, applied the solder, and trimmed things flush on the other side. I had previously cut, drilled, and finished a nice chunk of figured walnut to serve as the chassis.

After the amp was completed, we moved on to the speakers. They are made from 18mm BB ply and a slab of walnut for the front baffle. We stuffed the cabinets, soldered the binding posts, wired the drivers (Mark Audio CHR-70), and then secured everything to cabinets.

She was VERY excited to have built her own amplifier and speakers! She kept asking my wife to take pictures while we worked so she can show her friends at school. Tonight we'll get everything set up in her bedroom and have our first listen.

After five years, our first daughter has started dropping hints that she doesn't think her amplifier goes loud enough any more (she's 15 now). My wife and I seem to disagree...
Great job! What did you use for a chassis before you made the wood faceplate, or did you fab the entire chassis?

Last edited by ellisr63; 27th November 2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 27th November 2018, 03:18 PM   #6667
Dennis Hui is offline Dennis Hui  Canada
Hoopy Frood
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
That's really wonderful Eric!
Old 27th November 2018, 03:43 PM   #6668
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Awesome stuff Eric, thanks for sharing! Hope she enjoys the system a lot!
Old 27th November 2018, 04:08 PM   #6669
rnjorge is offline rnjorge  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Way to go! Have the kids interested in whatever nice hobby there is (hifi, r/c planes, electric trains, electronics etc) and they'll never have money for drugs!
Old 27th November 2018, 04:10 PM   #6670
barryso is offline barryso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnjorge View Post
Way to go! Have the kids interested in whatever nice hobby there is (hifi, r/c planes, electric trains, electronics etc) and they'll never have money for drugs!
With the right music and a good system you don't even need drugs.

Amp Camp Amp - ACAHide this!Advertise here!