Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2018, 07:33 AM   #6521
stanhong is offline stanhong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan4411 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Thanks Alan. It's actually 240x90mm high, and the "body" of the Mini Dissipante is 230x80. So there is 5mm overlap on each edge. The faceplate of the Galaxy 2U 230x230 is exactly the same item as the one used in the Mini Dissipante. Remember to get the "No holes" option for the Galaxy.
Alan, Jason,

Thanks a lot on the info.
Old 8th November 2018, 07:38 AM   #6522
Alan4411 is offline Alan4411  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azookey View Post
When is that parallel mono guide going to be up. I have some 4 ohm diy speakers I can’t wait to try it out with.

Thanks
I hope 6L6 does not mind if I post this for you, I know it is a very long thread...

There have been a couple of pictorials posted before, this one is easiest to do and understand by Mutuano. It is all external and easily reversible too.

Link the two pins in the XLR socket with a suitable loop or wire as shown. That joins the left and right inputs together.
Link the two Black speaker connections with a wire. (The Red ones are already joined internally.)
If you have wired the rear switch from the build guide step 38, make sure it is Down as in the pictures.

That's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutuano View Post
Hello Zen and all,

Herein you will find some pics of my ACA set as parallel-mono:

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Alan4411; 8th November 2018 at 07:50 AM.
Old 8th November 2018, 07:49 AM   #6523
sml1226 is offline sml1226  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Thanks Alan. It's actually 240x90mm high, and the "body" of the Mini Dissipante is 230x80. So there is 5mm overlap on each edge. The faceplate of the Galaxy 2U 230x230 is exactly the same item as the one used in the Mini Dissipante. Remember to get the "No holes" option for the Galaxy.
Thanks for confirming it is the same size as the available Mini Dissipante. I thought they were the same size as the standard 2U MDs from the pictures. The ACA chassis page mentions "an internal space of 230mm wide" though which had me scratching my head trying to figure out how it could be 230mm wide + 80mm sinks and look nothing like the 330mm options.
Old 8th November 2018, 06:59 PM   #6524
JeffreyD is offline JeffreyD  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Maybe papa can answer this?
I really like the fluid and detailed sound of the ACA’s in comparison to my Hypex nCore500 with 1200W power supply. What I like about the nCore’s is the micro and macro dynamics. Is there a Pass amp (maybe commercial) which combines them both? Fluid, detailed and dynamic?
Old 8th November 2018, 07:10 PM   #6525
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Clearly others know more than I do, but I think the Pass designs all do the "micro" stuff very well. If you want "more" of the "macro" stuff, look toward the designs that feature higher bias currents and lots of heat.
Old 8th November 2018, 07:29 PM   #6526
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Alan - That looks perfect! Thank you!!

Jeffery D - M2x
Old 8th November 2018, 10:02 PM   #6527
thesimulacre is offline thesimulacre
diyAudio Member

Default Energy Connoisseurs

I used an online calculator to get an idea of what to expect hooking one of these amps to each of my CF-50s that I found at a thrift store (!). From the calculator I gather that the max handling of the speakers is irrelevant, and that at 15' I could expect about 85 dB out of the 96dB/W/M pair when giving them 8W ea (is it ea?). I feel like my old inclination to match the amp to the speaker in terms of Wattage is some kind of mysticism I developed from just figuring things out.
Feedback is appreciated in this scenario.
Beautiful kit you've put together there. My Hafler needs a break at some point.
Old 9th November 2018, 12:51 PM   #6528
WKCox is offline WKCox  United States
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesimulacre View Post
I used an online calculator to get an idea of what to expect hooking one of these amps to each of my CF-50s that I found at a thrift store (!). From the calculator I gather that the max handling of the speakers is irrelevant, and that at 15' I could expect about 85 dB out of the 96dB/W/M pair when giving them 8W ea (is it ea?). I feel like my old inclination to match the amp to the speaker in terms of Wattage is some kind of mysticism I developed from just figuring things out.
Feedback is appreciated in this scenario.
Beautiful kit you've put together there. My Hafler needs a break at some point.
You may want to check out this thread:

A Test. How much Voltage (power) do your speakers need?
Pass F5, Pass M2x, Pass ACA, Audio Research ST-70-C3, Dynaco ST-35, Audio Electronic Supply SE-1, Elekit TU-8500, Hagerman Bugle, Scan-Speak Solist MTM, Selah SA-1, Seas Loki, Cavalli eXStatA, Millett Hybrid MAX, Millett Hybrid MiniMAX
Old 10th November 2018, 03:43 AM   #6529
tjw59 is offline tjw59  United States
diyAudio Member

Default observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by balancetheory View Post
I have zu soul superflys, which are 16 ohm and 100db+ sensitivity. I noticed that the aca 1.6 into 16 ohm speakers in stereo only provides 4 watts (based on a chart I found in the forum). I believe that will be fine, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with this speaker-type and the aca? If so, any thoughts? My decision is whether to go stereo, or mono blocks, considering its 2x the cost... Thanks!
There is a sonic difference in the stereo and mono-block configuration to consider. The two side by side driven with the same source driving level matched Air Motion Transformer's of various manufactures sound completely different balanced and unbalanced. Balanced is greatly attenuated to the point of not existing harmonic energy. Unbalanced is full of really nice sounding harmonic stuff. (Alvin!)

(2) ACAs drive AMT's in the balanced mode.

(1) ACA in the unbalanced mode to drives a set of Polk in wall.

We like both of them together. Very "rich"
Old 10th November 2018, 06:16 AM   #6530
oc11 is offline oc11  United States
diyAudio Member

TJw59. Let me get this straight, you have two sets of stereo equipment (1. 2 ACA monoblocks in balanced input mode, driving two speakers, and 2. a single ACA in stereo mode driving two separate speakers) all driven by the same music source. You really like the music resulting from this combination.

Question do you have a single preamp capable of simultaneous single end RCA outputs and balanced outputs (what gain?) processing the music being fed to the amps simultaneously or two separate preamps doing the processing? If using two preamps are they the same kind of preamps or are they different (as the speakers which are also different)?

Final question, just wonder what would happen if you combined the balanced mono outputs with the unbalanced stereo outputs and used it to feed a single pair of speakers? Does this make them sound better or not?

As I said, this is very intriguing information.

Amp Camp Amp - ACAHide this!Advertise here!