Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2018, 12:25 AM   #6171
semmyroundel is offline semmyroundel  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
Pageants aren't going to be that sensitive. Somewhere around 88-90dB from memory.
Memory not serving us both 96db according to spec at 1 metere
Old 1st October 2018, 06:25 AM   #6172
Alan4411 is offline Alan4411  Wales
diyAudio Member

semmyroundel and Toaster

Yes you are both sort of correct... but

The normal method of quoting sensitivity is by 1 Watt per 1 Metre. (8 ohms, 1 kHz etc., etc.)

Mordaunt Short used their own method (for the Pageants and Festivals anyway) quoting 96dB at 1 metre but at 5.6 Watts. No idea why or perhaps it was marketing.

What it does mean though is they are not going to be Tannoy or Klipsh 'loud' for the same 1 Watt input.
Alan
Old 1st October 2018, 10:08 AM   #6173
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post
If you want an inexpensive DIY fix.. Reduce the feedback to get more gain. You can do that in the ACA by changing R12 from the 39.2K found in later versions of the ACA to the 68.1K found in the earlier version.

Jim
Thanks Jim, just wondering though why they changed it, would the extra gain cause clipping?
Old 1st October 2018, 10:09 AM   #6174
diyAudio Member

With regards to pre amps (with 6db gain to raise output a little) it was suggested I look at the whammy, but that appears to have 14db gain.
Is there something similar, or can that gain be dialed down?
Old 1st October 2018, 10:35 AM   #6175
NealJ is offline NealJ  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by semmyroundel View Post
With regards to pre amps (with 6db gain to raise output a little) it was suggested I look at the whammy, but that appears to have 14db gain.
Is there something similar, or can that gain be dialed down?

I mentioned the O2 in a previous post as I use this with the ACA. The O2 has a selectable gain switch on the front panel, and you can configure this by choosing which resistors to fit when you build it (all the various gain settings are catered for if you buy as a kit from HeadnHiFi).
Old 1st October 2018, 10:53 AM   #6176
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealJ View Post
I mentioned the O2 in a previous post as I use this with the ACA. The O2 has a selectable gain switch on the front panel, and you can configure this by choosing which resistors to fit when you build it (all the various gain settings are catered for if you buy as a kit from HeadnHiFi).
Many thanks, I'll look into that. I don't need blasting out sound, but I do like my rock, and that largely requires power. Samsara Blues Experiment just doesn't sound right weakly delivered....
Old 1st October 2018, 11:00 AM   #6177
diyAudio Member

I'm very happy with it. I listen to everything from classical to reggae, heavy metal and electronica to folk and it works perfectly with the ACA. Having the selectable gain on the front is a help as I find some recordings need the lower gain (primarily modern loudness mastered music). I think I have it set to x2 and x6 gain.
Old 1st October 2018, 11:07 AM   #6178
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealJ View Post
I'm very happy with it. I listen to everything from classical to reggae, heavy metal and electronica to folk and it works perfectly with the ACA. Having the selectable gain on the front is a help as I find some recordings need the lower gain (primarily modern loudness mastered music). I think I have it set to x2 and x6 gain.
Thanks NealJ. I found this, just wondered how that would work out?
Hi Fi Active Preamp
Old 1st October 2018, 11:10 AM   #6179
diyAudio Member

Funnily enough, as you mentioned the CMoy. I have two of those Altoids headphone amps from that guy up North (I think it's Barnsley), one has the standard 10db gain, and the other I had him make with 12db gain (they both are 18v or two 9v PP3's run)
Old 1st October 2018, 11:17 AM   #6180
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I'm a novice so can't comment on the suitability of something I haven't tried.

If you have the Cmoy's already, why not swap the headphone jack for RCA jacks and swap the R3 resistor to 2K ohms to get x6 gain. Have a look at Tangents website for more info.

Amp Camp Amp - ACAHide this!Advertise here!