Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2018, 12:32 AM   #6071
Extreme_Boky is offline Extreme_Boky
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc11 View Post
Hello Anand

I know you kindly sent a link to Nelson Pass' statements saying that the ACA output is the same for the stereo version as for the monoblock. However, if you go to the ACA KIt 1.6 entry (sold out) in the diyaudio store and scroll down to the specifications you will find it clearly stated that the output for the stereo version is 8w per channel and the output for the monoblock version is 15w per channel. So, the output doubles even though the gain per (? board) stays the same. What am I missing here?
Differential signal halves will now receive an ACA, each - double the power at the point of summation = speakers, albeit for 8 and 16-ohm speaker impedance. However, a damping factor will decrease...

Parallel: the input signal is fed equally to both ACA's. Everything stays the same, current capability of the output stage increases - better for 4 ohms (and lower) impedance. The input impedance will be half. The damping factor will increase -> opens the possibility to go to 14 dB gain on each ACA
Old 22nd September 2018, 03:03 AM   #6072
oc11 is offline oc11  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you so very much 6L6, I will continue the plans with no changes to the values in the schematic. I really am grateful for your help.

To clarify the point of the musicality of the capacitors, I used the descriptions of features and functionality provided in the data sheets of the manufacturers. The 3300 Chemi cons datasheet did not mention audio or music. The Nichicons did make a primary point about the use of these products for high-grade audio equipment. That is all. The other two mods I will do will be installing Allo CMs and increasing the ventilation of the units by drilling additional vents in the top and bottom plates.

Again, thank you very much.
Old 22nd September 2018, 05:13 AM   #6073
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
SYclotron Audio | Why are people obsessed with coupling caps?

SYclotron Audio | Why are people obsessed with coupling caps? Part 2

That said, I still stand by what I said earlier - the fancy parts are pretty.

Last edited by 6L6; 22nd September 2018 at 05:15 AM.
Old 22nd September 2018, 06:25 AM   #6074
oc11 is offline oc11  United States
diyAudio Member

No question you are right, you know this stuff in and out and I do not. However, I do not see any harm done other than throwing some of my money, not much, down the drain. As always, I appreciate your knowledge which you share freely helping us.
Old 22nd September 2018, 07:18 AM   #6075
ThermalAlchemy is offline ThermalAlchemy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default ESR TEST OF 10uF and 1000uF

One of the qualifications of a high-quality audio capacitor is ESR and lower is supposed to be better ?. This is what I found comparing Nichicon, and the kit caps. When trying to get fancy larger big-name capacitors will you changing amp camp amp smooth tubey like sound for a more sterile fast acting sound?. I guess this is what experimentation is for an exactly what this amplifier in brings out the tinker in every person learning by trial and fire 🔥. Every time I read one of my questions get answered 10 more take its place. Look at the photos below my tester for an ESR meter DER EE DE-5000 Below photos show the capacitors been tested
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9C5DAE8E-9B0D-4ABC-839C-AAFC2D350E2C.jpg (628.6 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg DBB49CF4-A2A6-453D-8332-143E583D0A56.jpg (598.9 KB, 387 views)
File Type: jpeg 5AAD6B0F-76DA-400F-B23B-FDFA88FA59ED.jpeg (650.3 KB, 382 views)
File Type: jpg 4C24D954-D700-43FA-9673-28A4859E2543.jpg (558.6 KB, 375 views)
Old 22nd September 2018, 09:09 AM   #6076
Extreme_Boky is offline Extreme_Boky
diyAudio Member

Choosing a sound coupling cap is the exercise that should be performed purely by listening to the end result. One should choose what best suits his system and his listening preferences. Metalized film capacitors, especially a mix of silver and gold, will have a more pleasing sound, that provides for an enjoyable listening, compared to low ESR electrolytes that measure "good", for example. Dipped in oils/waxes and specifically wound and finished/encapsulated... everything will make a noticeable difference that can't be measured, but it can be heard.

Even the latest First Watt amplifiers use a shiny nice looking white, film, sound-coupling capacitors with "PASS" written on it. And we all know the saying... if it's good for Mr Pass, it must be good for the rest of the mortals.
Old 22nd September 2018, 07:56 PM   #6077
spryor is offline spryor
diyAudio Member

Hello, all,

I've been lurking around these pages for a while now. I purchased the ACA v1 kit about 5 years ago and finally built it this summer. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to electronics, but the ACAs are working and haven't gone up in smoke (yet)! The ACAs are driving the Fostex 206e drivers mounted in back loaded horn enclosures. Initially, I must say I was a a bit disappointed in the sound. It sounded pretty flat and lifeless compared to my trusty old Marantz 2220B. However, after running the ACAs for a while, and introducing some EQ to the signal, I'm really starting to dig the ACAs. At this point, I'm just playing Spotify from my computer direct in to the ACAs and it's sounding great.

However, I'm having a heck of a time getting my turntable to work with the ACAs. I have the turntable going in to a Bellari Tube Phono Preamp, which is going in to the ACAs. This is generating a terrible hum. I assume it's a ground issue of some kind, and I've tried every configuration of power sourcing (plugging all components into the same outlet, different outlets, etc.) that I can think of with no luck. I'm perplexed because I don't have any such problem when using the Marantz to drive the speakers.

Has anyone else run into something similar with the ACAs, and if so, any suggestions? I haven't been able to find any posts that address this issue, so posting here, along with a few photos of the setup.

Also: a general word of thanks to the diyaudio community on all the great info, build guides, etc. to be found in these forums! It's a pretty marvelous rabbit hole to have fallen into :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8921.jpg (958.2 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9432.jpg (978.8 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9433.jpg (904.2 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9434.jpg (740.5 KB, 118 views)
Old 22nd September 2018, 10:42 PM   #6078
Azookey is offline Azookey  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Correct. The potentiometer in the Saga takes that signal and attenuates it down. (Unless the volume knob is cranked all the way up, in which case the DACs full output is sent through.)
Ok last question and I think I’ve got it. If my pre amp in this config will only output 2 volts, and the input sensitivity of the aca is 2.3 ish as people are saying then 2 things.
- I will not be able to get the aca to its full potential (8 watts)
- I won’t be able to go into clipping either cuzz this pre amp won’t send more than 2 volts
Old 22nd September 2018, 11:04 PM   #6079
Dudeisms is offline Dudeisms  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spryor View Post
Hello, all,

I've been lurking around these pages for a while now. I purchased the ACA v1 kit about 5 years ago and finally built it this summer. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to electronics, but the ACAs are working and haven't gone up in smoke (yet)! The ACAs are driving the Fostex 206e drivers mounted in back loaded horn enclosures. Initially, I must say I was a a bit disappointed in the sound. It sounded pretty flat and lifeless compared to my trusty old Marantz 2220B. However, after running the ACAs for a while, and introducing some EQ to the signal, I'm really starting to dig the ACAs. At this point, I'm just playing Spotify from my computer direct in to the ACAs and it's sounding great.

However, I'm having a heck of a time getting my turntable to work with the ACAs. I have the turntable going in to a Bellari Tube Phono Preamp, which is going in to the ACAs. This is generating a terrible hum. I assume it's a ground issue of some kind, and I've tried every configuration of power sourcing (plugging all components into the same outlet, different outlets, etc.) that I can think of with no luck. I'm perplexed because I don't have any such problem when using the Marantz to drive the speakers.

Has anyone else run into something similar with the ACAs, and if so, any suggestions? I haven't been able to find any posts that address this issue, so posting here, along with a few photos of the setup.

Also: a general word of thanks to the diyaudio community on all the great info, build guides, etc. to be found in these forums! It's a pretty marvelous rabbit hole to have fallen into :-)

Google “bellari tube phono hum” and you will find this is a very common issue especially for one’s manufactured during a certain time period. I believe bellari used to fix them, but I don’t know if that time has passed. Some people even pick up radio stations with them. But lots of people like them, so...
Try orientating it differently, maybe keep it away from the ACA’s more, meaning more distance. Even replace the cheap wall watt plug with a new plug... those are the things that have worked for a lot of folks.
Old 22nd September 2018, 11:04 PM   #6080
poseidonsvoice is online now poseidonsvoice  United States
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Azookey,

If you only input a max of 2V RMS to the ACA in the standard stereo configuration it will output about 7V RMS into 8 ohms or about 6.23 Watts.

Best,
Anand.

Amp Camp Amp - ACAHide this!Advertise here!