Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Hi Bob,

A 17c rise over ambient is pretty decent. This is very similar to the thermal behavior of the ACA on the sinks that sell with the kit or the 2U sinks that were available in the DIYAudio store. The one that my daughter and I built sees a 18-19c rise and is quite comfortable to the touch (not too hot at all). For the thermal interface, I used Begquist K-10 SilPads. Years ago, I got my hands on a 4" by 4" sample sheet that I cut to size for my needs.

That's funny - years ago, I bought 2" X 18" roll of double sided heat transfer tape for computer building, and these were the last four pieces I could salvage. :D

BTW, I placed the probe on the thick web of the heat sink and not on the thin fins. I'll do both next time.

Last edited:
I bought the kit from the store and have decided to build a linear supply with CLC filter for it as a learning effort.

While researching the design and picking an inductor, I've run some simulations and determined that the size of the inductor really doesn't affect the waveform shape that much, so whether I pick a common value like 2.2mH or go up to something like 8mH, it serves the purpose. But the value does clearly affect the resonance frequency, and therefore the effectiveness of the filter at 120Hz.

I read somewhere the resonance frequency should be below 10Hz but this statement was made in the context of a supply for a tube amp, which is obviously a different animal. Using the standard formula for LC resonance I came up with 34hz for 2.2mH and 17Hz for 8.5mH.

Question I have is this: do I really need to keep the resonance below 10Hz or some other value? Or is not a factor for the ACA (or any transistor amp design)?