Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st July 2018, 10:01 PM   #5001
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermalAlchemy View Post
Then tell us what preamp is not a sissy......, ? And we will build it !.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjt View Post
Balanced, please.

(& we do appreciate all the effort!)
there is Iron Pre , both SE and Bal iterations , choice of output autoformer left to user - Edcor, Jensen , Cinemag (pads for all 3 on pcb)

and it is chained somewhere deep in Store Dungeons

Old 1st August 2018, 05:16 PM   #5002
chromenuts is offline chromenuts  United States
diyAudio Member

What about Pumpkin?
Old 1st August 2018, 06:04 PM   #5003
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Iron is fully developed project , of which Iron Pre was phase in development , proof of concept

if you're asking for (first) , that one is overkill for ACA ..... primary developed for F4 , balanced
Old 1st August 2018, 09:43 PM   #5004
chromenuts is offline chromenuts  United States
diyAudio Member

OK...I thought as much...thanks Zen. There was a Pumpkin preamp up for grabs in the swap meet, so I thought I’d ask. I read about the F4 lovers in the related Pumpkin preamp threads, but wasn’t sure if it would fly with the ACA or the F2 that I’ve started.

I will try the more efficient used Lowther DX3 I got at the other end to see if the ACAs make bigger noise to my liking with some of the meatier recordings I like.

I’ve heard the Lowther can be shouty, but my ears are old and used to my wife’s shouting anyway so maybe it will work out.

If it doesn’t work out with my DCB1 out front I can take a shot at setting up an old tube preamp I have. All that twiddling will probably take me long enough for the iron pre to come out.
Old 1st August 2018, 09:45 PM   #5005
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromenuts View Post
I’ve heard the Lowther can be shouty, but my ears are old and used to my wife’s shouting anyway so maybe it will work out.......
that's the spirit!!

Old 2nd August 2018, 12:43 AM   #5006
mraudioguru is offline mraudioguru  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Current ACA Update

UPDATE - AUGUST 1ST 2018

Batch 1: The first 60% of orders will start shipping tomorrow, in the order they were placed, and the remainder will start shipping in about a week from now. Very roughly, if your order number is lower than DAS-5300 (eg: DAS-5299) and it contained only the Amp Camp Amp kit and/or PSU, it will probably ship tomorrow, if it is higher than 5300 (eg: DAS-5301) or was more complicated, it will probably ship next week.

On August 4th we will email you either a tracking number (if yours shipped), or an ETA for when your order will ship (we think about a week).

Once again, we do apologize for the delay on the second half of the orders. Arguably, we're more annoyed than you are, however please feel free to email us and vent your frustrations. The silver lining is that all the work that went into creating systems to handle this batch will ensure future pre-orders are more predictable.

Batch 2: Everything is on track for shipping on September 15th
Old 2nd August 2018, 12:45 AM   #5007
johnnycamp5 is offline johnnycamp5  United States
diyAudio Member

Default ACA order 1-status

Just saw todays update-

"Amp Camp Amp Kit - Pre-Order Status Page

Update - August 1st 2018

Batch 1: The first 60% of orders will start shipping tomorrow, in the order they were placed, and the remainder will start shipping in about a week from now. Very roughly, if your order number is lower than DAS-5300 (eg: DAS-5299) and it contained only the Amp Camp Amp kit and/or PSU, it will probably ship tomorrow, if it is higher than 5300 (eg: DAS-5301) or was more complicated, it will probably ship next week.
On August 4th we will email you either a tracking number (if yours shipped), or an ETA for when your order will ship (we think about a week).
Once again, we do apologize for the delay on the second half of the orders. Arguably, we're more annoyed than you are, however please feel free to email us and vent your frustrations. The silver lining is that all the work that went into creating systems to handle this batch will ensure future pre-orders are more predictable."

I'm exited for a new build.... while holding steady at order no.-DAS-5164 lol.
Old 2nd August 2018, 01:34 AM   #5008
mitchba is offline mitchba  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEPER View Post
Yes, it is easy to try it and go back again to SE mode. But I remember that bridging amps was something we did when having party to be able to play loud and avoid clipping and burn the tweeters. The purpose was not better "quality". I was just thinking if bridging is needed if ACA was the right amp to build. It seems most go for the ACA with the purpose of bridging from beginning……..and that to me seems a little strange. Maybe because it is an easy build. But maybe some think it is for "quality" also. If it is to get balanced input as main putpose other solutions exist with a "native" balanced input circuit. But again it is a good education amp to try different things :-)
Interested in balanced input options for my ACA's that drive high sensitivity compression drivers. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks.
Old 2nd August 2018, 01:46 AM   #5009
Skip Pack is offline Skip Pack  United States
diyAudio Member

Mitchba, I'm using a THAT Driver card from Neurochrome that I packaged up as an SE in to BAL out preamp for my bridged ACA. It works beautifully and is easy to put together.

Skip
Old 2nd August 2018, 04:01 AM   #5010
poseidonsvoice is offline poseidonsvoice  United States
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Pack View Post
Mitchba, I'm using a THAT Driver card from Neurochrome that I packaged up as an SE in to BAL out preamp for my bridged ACA. It works beautifully and is easy to put together.

Skip
Skip,

Nice! How much gain did you implement on your Neurochrome THAT Driver pre, 6dB or more?

Best,

Anand.

Amp Camp Amp - ACAHide this!Advertise here!