Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Strange?
But the Build Guide has the parts list. Step #1 here: Amp Camp Amp V1.6 Build Guide - diyAudio Guides

There are a couple of changes for the V1.8 as detailed in the enclosed.
R1, 2, 3 and 4 are 3 Watt items. The other resistors are 0.5W or less. No need to get 2.21K, 39.2k or 33.2k values, 2.2k, 39k and 33k are all fine.
The caps are 35 volt rated (25 volt minimum). The only 'difficult' part is the 2SK170, there are a few fakes about so go to a reputable source.

That's it, Alan

Attachments

• Part V1.8-001.jpg
    Part V1.8-001.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
So they do not run hot like tube amps do?

All of mine (6 of the 24v 1.6 or 1.8 editions) run pretty hot to the touch, but not so hot that I can't use Nelson's 1-2-3 second test. I posted temperatures of the heat sinks and the transistors a while back and they were within the
spec.

The stock 1.6 and 1.8 kits/builds should be within the thermal specs for the parts therein. Where you can get into higher temps is when you increase the bias current/etc... with some of the modifications on the forum, and so you need to make sure you size your heat sinks to suit (hopefully before you
try them out). ;)

--Tom

All of mine (6 of the 24v 1.6 or 1.8 editions) run pretty hot to the touch, but not so hot that I can't use Nelson's 1-2-3 second test. I posted temperatures of the heat sinks and the transistors a while back and they were within the

spec.

The stock 1.6 and 1.8 kits/builds should be within the thermal specs for the parts therein. Where you can get into higher temps is when you increase the bias current/etc... with some of the modifications on the forum, and so you need to make sure you size your heat sinks to suit (hopefully before you

try them out). ;)

--Tom

Thanks, I have 3 on the way (used).

So they do not run hot like tube amps do?

I have some Insteon outdoor wall boxes I can use...are there any turnon thumps when turned on via the ac outlet? I know my little Nobsounds have turn on thumps when remorely turned on, but my Yamaha p2500s amps do not.

The ACAs do have a thump. There were discussions earlier on the thread about how to abate them, but the simplest approach is to leave the ACAs' switches in the ON position and control them by turning the external power supply on/off. I built custom linear supplies that have a nice front-panel-mounted switch that make this easy. I turn off the PS and then after counting off a few seconds, I turn the power off on the preamp. No thumps.

--Tom

The ACAs do have a thump. There were discussions earlier on the thread about how to abate them, but the simplest approach is to leave the ACAs' switches in the ON position and control them by turning the external power supply on/off. I built custom linear supplies that have a nice front-panel-mounted switch that make this easy. I turn off the PS and then after counting off a few seconds, I turn the power off on the preamp. No thumps.

--Tom
Thanks Tom, I will try my Insteon outlet boxes for remote power on. I see no reason for leaving them on 24/7.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
BOM with specifics go stale really quickly these days as the part numbers change and become invalid.

All the information is on the schematic, and if you have the PCB, you can determine lead spacing on the capacitors.

The above BOM is a great place to start. The ACA is not that sensitive to parts selection, use first-tier parts from reputable suppliers and it will work and sound great! :yes:

BOM with specifics go stale really quickly these days as the part numbers change and become invalid.

All the information is on the schematic, and if you have the PCB, you can determine lead spacing on the capacitors.

The above BOM is a great place to start. The ACA is not that sensitive to parts selection, use first-tier parts from reputable suppliers and it will work and sound great!

Yes, fair comment. Actually now looking at sourcing all parts the kit is starting to look like good value but I suppose y'all know that already;)
Can any UK buyers tell me how much they were hit for with duties and tax on kits?

I don't leave any of my amps on 24/7. In general leaving stuff on that gets hot will degrade components faster. The aca in particular warms up pretty quick and I'm not sure I hear it come into focus like the f4 does after around 40 minutes. It seems to be pretty much all the way there as soon as you turn it on.

I built my aca from the diyaudio parts kit and it sounds great. I wouldn't get stressed at all by using those bits. No, it's not as good as my f4, but it's still an exceptional amp. The meanwell supply is absolutely fine as well. No complaints with that either.