Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th July 2018, 09:42 AM   #4861
rnjorge is offline rnjorge  Brazil
diyAudio Member

My SAGA goes very well with the single ended ACA. Freya and balanced ACAs would be "double the pleasure, double the fun".
Old 14th July 2018, 02:23 AM   #4862
Mrshazbot is offline Mrshazbot  United States
diyAudio Member

Great, I’m very excited to get the ACAs. I suspect this will be the beginning of the amplifier bug for me, however much of this stuff is still way over my head but I feel like I know way more than I did a couple months ago.
Old 14th July 2018, 03:45 AM   #4863
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
It's a learning process for all of us! Even Nelson, he talks about that all the time.

Enjoy the process, have fun learning all sorts of things along the way, and have a blast listening to the music of something YOU built!
Old 14th July 2018, 06:43 AM   #4864
RafaPolit is offline RafaPolit  Ecuador
diyAudio Member

Hey friends! Brief update from me: I had today my first soldering 'lesson'. It was fun! I grew up watching my dad solder, almost every day. So I had a notion of the 'moves', but it's another thing doing it. Really interesting.

Of course, I started with dad holding the PCB (not the ACA one, a test one with resistors and leds to build a traffic light for the RPi3 )... and he moved it and 'corrected' my moves, so I asked him: "do you think the clamps I will use will be as intelligent as you and move the PCB away from me at the right time?"... we had a laugh and kept going.

It was fun, it ended up good looking, and it was my birthday... so, as a birthday present, I learned how to solder! Great celebration really.

I will now try soldering with fixed clamps which will be less forgiving than my dad! LOL!... and with that, on to the ACA.

So, I'll be finishing mine probably just when everyone else starts getting the first 1.6 batch, which I have been following with keen interest.

See you soon, best regards,
Rafa.
Old 14th July 2018, 01:46 PM   #4865
Trismos is offline Trismos  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Battery power? Please point me there.

Hello!

I have my order in for the latest ACA. I was wondering about two things:
I'm sure someone has run these of 24VDC. Please point me to that comment thread if possible as there are now nearly 500 pages to scroll through here alone - or if you have a comment please do.

Also, I notice you can buy the chassis with our without the front face cut out for a power button. I opted to have it with. Does it then come with a button switch or what are others using here? I happen to have a Hypex soft start module with the nifty little brushed aluminum button that has the blue led ring on it and might try that.

Thx for any comments. Build posts / pics links very welcome.

Regards
Tris
Old 14th July 2018, 01:49 PM   #4866
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
24v operation changes one thing - set the bias at 12v. Easy.

If you ordered the new kit with the front switch, it is included. You are welcome to change it to the lit vandalproof that you have, that will look neat!
Old 14th July 2018, 09:12 PM   #4867
Trismos is offline Trismos  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
24v operation changes one thing - set the bias at 12v. Easy.
is it worth the change though? I have a Virtue Audio M-901 and it came with a SMPS or an optional wiring harness for 24v battery operation because the battery power was simply superior to any SMPS. The ACA runs on an SMPS so I was wondering if the same thing might not apply.

Thx
Tris
Old 14th July 2018, 10:21 PM   #4868
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Rafa, sounds great, pls post photos!
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 14th July 2018, 10:50 PM   #4869
GASCo is offline GASCo  United States
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trismos View Post
is it worth the change though? I have a Virtue Audio M-901 and it came with a SMPS or an optional wiring harness for 24v battery operation because the battery power was simply superior to any SMPS. The ACA runs on an SMPS so I was wondering if the same thing might not apply.

Thx

Tris

I believe all are plenty satisfied with smps AFAIK.

Just wanted to understand the reasoning behind your question: why a 19v smps would be better than a 24v smps? Would you rather have 24v battery than a 24v smps, but you’re not concerned if the smps is 19v?
Old 14th July 2018, 11:12 PM   #4870
rnjorge is offline rnjorge  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Did anybody go from the single ended ACA to the balanced version and would care to comment on the differences felt and listened? I'm thinking about balancing my life a little.

Amp Camp Amp - ACAHide this!Advertise here!