Amp Camp Amp - ACA

So I finally finished my first ACA (got a pair). I've done one other point-to-point soldering project but never on a circuit board. I got the nice Hakko soldering station and it was a real joy. I took extreme care with everything, triple checking everything and I am sure I took way more time than most but it's working great! Great project and it got me excited to look for another electronics project.

Two questions
1) Bias adjustment with P1 is very sensitive, like very, very. So first off, is that normal and second how precise should I get the voltage reading? I got 1 almost exact 11.9x but the other is around 11.5x vs the stated 12v. Overcoming he pots sticktion pushes me out of range so easily...

2) With no experience with this sort of thing, I left many of the wires longer than pictured in the guide. Most wires are around +1 inch or so. Is it worth cleaning that up?

Thanks for any advice.

It may not be super critical, but it is a challenge! Those pots are extremely sensitive, but if you meditate and take up deep breathing exercises for three days prior, give up coffee and drink herbal tea, and learn to bend blades of grass with your mind, you can in fact get that bias at 12 volts. Don't give up so easily!

It may not be super critical, but it is a challenge! Those pots are extremely sensitive, but if you meditate and take up deep breathing exercises for three days prior, give up coffee and drink herbal tea, and learn to bend blades of grass with your mind, you can in fact get that bias at 12 volts. Don't give up so easily!

...um...

give up coffee

A lot of words to say that it is impossible.

HASUfnl.jpg

alextab,
It sounds like you've got it working, right? 6L6 is right (of course), just get it pretty close and enjoy the music from an amp that you made!

I've found the experience of listening to music to be so much better since I got into DIY... it's about listening, not fretting! Enjoy!

When I first built the ACA, (2012) I would just tweek the pot to get symmetrical clipping. I noticed I wasn't getting consistent THD @ 1W numbers. Only after I started tweeking to a specific Voltage, did I get more consistent measurements. Slight changes in quiescent Voltage affect THD above 1KHz (ver 1.0) as I documented in post 576 of this thread. I used 10 turn pots on all my builds.

How does the raise in THD above 1KHz affect the sound ? I have ask the question a couple of times and never got an answer.

Regarding stability?
Don't know…...but maybe some has experience from real use of both types.....
Maybe one like heat better then the other etc.....
The single turn is cheaper but if a "steady hand" can adjust it.....then it should be OK I guess. Think it was just that conclusion I was after….or hoped for :)

alextab,
It sounds like you've got it working, right? 6L6 is right (of course), just get it pretty close and enjoy the music from an amp that you made!

I've found the experience of listening to music to be so much better since I got into DIY... it's about listening, not fretting! Enjoy!

Yes, it is working although I do not have a pair of speakers set up that I can easily integrate this into. So no idea on sound but through my test setup good so far. After I get the second built I'll know for sure.

Thanks for all the replies and assistance all, much appreciated.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Getting a start on my ACA

Milled board using engraving bit on rotary tool in small drill press to set depth. Board in pic not yet fully stuffed - got some terminals to put on and standoffs so that all weight not carried by IRFP240s.

4x heatsinks 80x80x100mm - they are salvaged off thyristors left over in a industrial transformer(?) case that my father is repurposing for the control box of his solar array.

All in all bit of an experiment - hopefully the heatsinks will be big enough. Originally was trying to configure the heatsinks like V-Twin motorbike because they look like little cylinder heads but that was just getting too complicated.

Will report more as it comes together.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 654
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 666
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 659
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 662
Last edited:
Nice build. I also like to repurpose old heatsinks etc for my builds. It’s always a challenge to get what you have on hand to work, and a lot of physical work cutting, drilling and tapping etc but worth it in the end. At least to me it’s worth it!

Yes, I’ve been thinking it might be fun to repurpose an old dead BGW 250 I’ve had for years.

I might be able to achieve 24 V by using the 220 Volt primary wiring at 120 V.

Lots of heat sink area available in these oldies.