Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2018, 07:53 AM   #3681
Attila I is offline Attila I  Germany
diyAudio Member

hi Moppy,
I'd say the ACA is too weak to drive your speakers.
for more power you can nevertheless run it on 24 volt (attention -> heatsink!)
and you can do this test:
A Test. How much Voltage (power) do your speakers need?
and estimate what you need.
cheers
A.
Old 2nd February 2018, 08:03 AM   #3682
kpsthakur is offline kpsthakur  India
diyAudio Member

Please check heatsinking, I suspect MOSFET’s are getting too hot and then their power decreases....are you using Keratherm pads in between?
Old 2nd February 2018, 02:33 PM   #3683
moppy is offline moppy  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacharyP View Post
More details about the speakers are needed.
It is a bookshelf speaker. Parts from China. 2 way speaker using unknown brand from China. I tried with other chipamp and it plays loud so I think my speaker is not the problem. What else details do you need?
Old 2nd February 2018, 02:34 PM   #3684
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila I View Post
hi Moppy,
I'd say the ACA is too weak to drive your speakers.
for more power you can nevertheless run it on 24 volt (attention -> heatsink!)
and you can do this test:
A Test. How much Voltage (power) do your speakers need?
and estimate what you need.
cheers
A.
Ok I'll go thru this. Thanks.
Old 2nd February 2018, 02:37 PM   #3685
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsthakur View Post
Please check heatsinking, I suspect MOSFET’s are getting too hot and then their power decreases....are you using Keratherm pads in between?
The heatsink is hot but still be able to touch in 10secs. I added an usb fan directly blow at the heatsink and it runs much more colder. I could leave my hand touching it for whole day without a problem. One side I'm using Keratherm and another side I'm using mika. The reason is I'm running out of Keratherm. The funny thing is using mika side is hotter than another.
Old 2nd February 2018, 03:49 PM   #3686
Skylar88 is online now Skylar88  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moppy View Post
One side I'm using Keratherm and another side I'm using mika. The reason is I'm running out of Keratherm. The funny thing is using mika side is hotter than another.

I tend to agree with you, Moppy. I also found that a mica pad and paste transfers heat better than Keratherm.

I guess the popularity of Keratherm is due to the fact that it's not messy. But is it better? I personally don't think so. Obviously, I'm open to being proven wrong.
Old 6th February 2018, 07:06 AM   #3687
diyAudio Member

Now I'm trying to build a psu using toroidal transformer, let see where the sound will play louder or not.

By the way the psu boards I bought have V+ and V-. ACA don't need V-. Can I just connect to V+ and GND only? Leaving V- not attach anything will be a problem or not?
Old 6th February 2018, 05:43 PM   #3688
eirik hansen is offline eirik hansen
diyAudio Member

But at '1' the volume is still quite far from full.
Unless it is not loud enough at full volume this isn't really an issue.
The ACA does have 'low' gain, as Nelson prefers, and will most likely play lower than your other amplifier for the same volume setting on your preamp.
Old 6th February 2018, 09:29 PM   #3689
John Ess is offline John Ess
diyAudio Member

Default Hoping that the ACA would be able to drive newly purchased speakers

I'm trying to find an amp that will match nicely with a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 225's, rated at 87db. I'm using a small 15 watt integrated amp now, that gets loud around 2/3rds volume. I'm in a small room and almost in a nearfield type set up...around 6' or so away. I'm hoping this will work because they're very deserving of better amplification. Guess I should try the voltage test.
Old 11th February 2018, 07:10 PM   #3690
twocents is offline twocents  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ess View Post
I'm trying to find an amp that will match nicely with a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 225's, rated at 87db. I'm using a small 15 watt integrated amp now, that gets loud around 2/3rds volume. I'm in a small room and almost in a nearfield type set up...around 6' or so away. I'm hoping this will work because they're very deserving of better amplification. Guess I should try the voltage test.
I can just report on what I found. Finished my ACAs this weekend and ran some tests tonight with Tannoy E11 (88dB) speakers. Using a B1 as a pre, the ACAs do not drive the Tannoys to satisfactory levels on certain recordings. But when I use a Class A Headamp as a preamp - boy oh boy, the ACAs have no problem driving the Tannoys to uncomfortable levels. The headamp perhaps have too much gain here.

So yes, with a preamp with some gain, the ACAs will drive those Wharfdales just fine I think, without clipping. And they will sound fantastic. I used a TDA7297 15W amp before. The ACAs just sound so much better and creates a better soundstage and imaging.

Last edited by twocents; 11th February 2018 at 07:26 PM.

Amp Camp Amp - ACAHide this!Advertise here!