Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Would the ACA be enough to drive 92dB senitivity speakers? I have build the Whammy and thinking of building the ACA.

I built a pair recently with the plan to run them as balanced monos. They're feeding a pair of Ascension Timberwolfs that I got from Edward over in Adelaide.

I can't give you an impedance curve but here are the claimed specs:
Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL speakers with the following specs sourced from the web at the time-
  • Power Handling: 220 WRMS
  • Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
  • Frequency Response: 25 - 40,000 Hertz +/-2dB with gradual roll-off giving usable response to low 20s
  • Sensitivity: 91 dB @ 1W/1m
  • Drivers: 2 x 225 mm fast kevlar cone bass drivers; 150mm high end papyrus cone SB Acoustics midrange with ultra flat response; Superb smooth ribbon tweeter capable of response beyond 50 kHz.

The ACAs do a great job. However they run out of puff (to my ears) driving the Beastie Boys, Brass Monkey, when compared with a 100 W pc Schiit Vidar. I typically use Brass Monkey to really test low end bass. But that's the only "negative" I can come up with - not that it's a real negative because most "normal" bass lines come across competently to me are not as extreme as the test track mentioned. Bear in mind too, that the room space is about 4 m x 10 m, wooden floors and the listening position is at about 2 m from the speaker fronts.

So, to answer you directly, I'd expect that your 92dB @ 1W/1m will sing with the ACAs and put a big smile on your face, just like the ones I built did for me.

Even so, I'm planning another amp build to move into 25 W pc territory ... yeah, I know - greedy.

Enjoy .. ;)

Last edited:
Using an integrated amplifier's pre-amp section for ACA's

Hi Rafa, and thanks for your explanation, I've finally got there- there is NO 15wpc stereo output, just mono, no good to me i'm afraid.
My speakers are all 8ohm which makes things easier, and interestingly, two are 86db, and one nice and sensitive at 95db.
So it looks like I might need a pre amp with gain (around 6db).
Someone mentioned a whammy, but I looked and that's a headphone amp, so how does that help me? Also it's a way more complicated build than the ACA.

I would be listening to line-level sources, so.......
Despite the fact that I feel I might be left a bit short (yes I know these are just numbers, but I'm used to powerful amps, my main setup at home is a Quad 909 with 99 pre amp, driving Spendor A6 speakers), I'm now tempted to build this amp in its 8w stereo guise and listen to it (it'll have to be on the sensitive speakers).
Shame Nelson didn't design a more powerful version.
Thanks everyone who chipped in though, it's all been helpful.
Oh by the way Rafa, en Espanyol si te apetece, te entiendo.

If you already have an integrated amplifier with pre-amp out and power amp in connectors, you can take out the jumpers and just use the pre-amp section. I bought a second-hand NAD C356BEE with two pre-outs and one main-in, and I am going to use one of the pre-outs connected to the ACA's.
"
PRE OUT 1:
The PRE OUT 1 sockets can be used to drive an additional
power amplifier. Use a twin RCA-to-RCA lead to connect the left and
right “Audio Input” of the Power amplifier or processor to the PRE OUT 1
sockets.
Always turn the C 356BEE and associated external power amplifiers OFF
before connecting or disconnecting anything to the PRE OUT 1 sockets.
The PRE OUT 1 output signal will be affected by the C 356BEE’s volume
and tone control settings.
PRE OUT 2:
Connections to an external power amplifier or processor,
such as a surround-sound decoder. In normal use, this should be
connected to the MAIN IN sockets with the links supplied. To connect
your C 356BEE to an external processor or amplifier, remove first these
links. Use a twin RCA-to-RCA lead to connect the left and right “Audio
Input” of a power amplifier or processor to the PRE OUT 2 sockets.
Always turn the C 356BEE and associated external power amplifiers OFF
before connecting or disconnecting anything to the PRE OUT 2 sockets.
The PRE OUT 2 output signal will be affected by the C 356BEE’s volume and tone control settings."

Just make sure the pre-amp can deliver enough Volts to drive the ACA's. In my case 8-10 Volts should be ample.

PREAMPLIFIER SECTION
LINE LEVEL INPUT, PRE OUT
THD 20 Hz – 20 kHz, CCIF IMD, SMPTE IMD, DIM 100
<0.005 % at 2 V out
Signal-to-Noise Ratio
>106 dB (IHF; A-weighted, ref. 500 mV out, unity gain)
>114 dB (A-weighted, ref. 2 V out, Volume maximum)
>92 dB (ref. 100 mV out, unity gain)
Channel separation -1 kHz
>80 dB
10 kHz
>68 dB
Input impedance (R and C)
22 kohms+ 100 pF
Maximum input signal
>6 Vrms (ref. 0.1 % THD)
Output impedance - Pre out
80 ohms
Tape out
Source Z + 1 kohm
Input sensitivity
166 mV (ref. 500 mV out)
Frequency response
±0.3 dB (20 Hz - 20 kHz, Tone defeat ON)
±0.3 dB (20 Hz - 20 kHz, Tone defeat OFF)
Maximum voltage output -IHF load
>10 V (ref. 0.03 % THD)
600 ohms load
>8 V (ref. 0.03 % THD)
TONE CONTROLS
Treble
±5 dB at 10 kHz
Bass
±8 dB at 100 Hz

One of the advantages is that I can use the NAD remote control for my ACA's!

Cheers,
Walter

Last edited:
So it looks like I might need a pre amp with gain (around 6db).
Someone mentioned a whammy, but I looked and that's a headphone amp, so how does that help me? Also it's a way more complicated build than the ACA.

I'm using an Objective2 headphone amp as a preamp for my ACA with 86dB 8ohm speakers. The desktop mod from HeadnHiFi is nice and has RCA outputs you can use to connect to the ACA. Admittedly this is a little more complicated build than what you want, so why not try using the same concept with a CMoy headphone amp? It's very simple to build and extremely cheap.

I've no idea how it would sound, but it might give you an idea and you could use it as a confidence builder to try something like an O2 or whammy later. I've got some opamps so I'll build one and try it.

damkel

Here is a way to test your ACA is amplifying correctly. I just tried it on mine and this is what I did.

Used my mobile phone and went to this site for the 1 kilo Hertz test tone, it is a bit louder than some. YouTube

I turned my phone's volume to maximum and measured the AC voltage at the head phone socket playing the tone. Mine is 0.43 volts AC. Yours might be more or less, just note what it is.

Then I plugged the phone into my ACA and measured the output at the speaker terminals. (No speakers connected.) I get 1.622 volts AC.
If I connect my speaker (8 ohms) and measure I get 1.57 volts AC.
Again yours might be different just note it.

So on my amplifier for an input of 0.43v ac I get 1.57v ac out.
3.6 times amplification and you should get something similar if all is well.

Hope that helps.

Hi Alan

First thank you for trying to help me.
I am sorry I have not replied before now but I went down with stress and Star Trek was about all I could manage.

I am a bit better now so I have tried measure the voltages as shown.
The output from the phone fluctuates a bit but on average 0.37v.
Out ACA without speakers 1.4v.
Out ACA with speaker 1.17v.
This gives an amplification of 3.2 and not that far from your 3.6 and probably well within measurement uncertainty.

So I guess the conclusion is that my ACA is OK which is good news.

I connect the ACA to my desk speakers and used my phone as input. Really low output. Then I used the output on my pc (not laptop) and that changed everything. Suddenly I got a sound level that was usable.

So... how do I know if a preamp is usable?
How much gain is required?
None of my present gear works and I before buying (or building) a preamp I would like to be sure I am doing the right thing.

A nice sunday to all you ACA'ers :)

I built v1.6 a week ago. What a sweet little amp. Great detail and the bass is amazing. I don't blast music any more and I can't believe this drives my MMGs to a satisfying level. I've had a rash of amps pass through this system and this rivals the best I've had (Audio Research CA50 and Pass Aleph 5 come to mind). I'm thinking of buying another and running them in parallel mono mode.
Hi, does this mean that you can effectively get a 8w+8w amplifier ?
I had this idea of buying two parts kits and installing them side by side in the same chassis, each being driven by one RCA, naturally they wouldn't be balanced, but at least I'd get double the power.
Or am I missing something?

Semmyroundel, there are any number of preamps, including those labeled "headphone amps" that can serve your purposes very well and give you 6 dB gain. You have to do your due diligence and check the net to find them. Let me suggest that you check two offerings of Schiit audio, I am not connected with them, just like their name and their prices:

1. Jotunheim, a DAC /headphone amp (can be had without the DAC) with balanced outputs. Swith selectable gain as follows, high gain of 14dB, low gain of 6dB. The low gain is more defined and precise.

2. Asgard 2 headphone amp with preamp outputs switch selectable as follows: high gain 15.6dB, low gain 3.5dB.

Both of these can be had with UK specific plugs and voltages. I imagine there is any number of other similar products out there, you just have to find them.
Hi, thanks for that reply-taken in the helpful vein that it was intended.
But, and it's a big but, this is a DIYaudio forum is it not? Why would I want to buy $280-$400 worth of pre amp?
I was hoping to find a way of doubling the power in stereo, that would be sufficient for me.
As I've said, I'm hoping that the bare bones 8wpc will suffice once built, as I'm hard pressed to follow an electronics wiring diagram, even the tripath amp that i built (and it works fine except on tuner) I built by sight and layout. Once parallel paths had been created on the circuit board, I was no longer able to test the resistors on the board, only prior to soldering.
Such is my limited ability.
Anyway, I still appreciate the reply, it's all good.

You will probably be surprised what 5-8 Watts can do......I was…..and I don't need more power. But just of interest I have started building the MoFo and also got the M2X PCBs so I have something to "play" with in the future...….

Thanks and yes, it seems clear that I'll have to try it without doubling up, as Nelson said: "the first watt is the most important" I shouldn't lose sight of that I guess.
BTW, for those in Europe, that 2u chassis is only €84 from modu shop plus 15 for delivery.
Granted, you have to tap the threads, but that's part of the fun of DIY

If you need more power than 8W into 8 ohm why not consider some of the more powerful alternatives? …...there is a bit more work to do but then you get an amp that was designed for its purpose...…..

I agree with this. If the ACA doesn't have enough grunt for your tastes, there are plenty of Pass Class A options to choose from.

My personal philosophy was to use the ACA to dip my toe in the water and establish my sense of capability. Then, of course, I've been bitten. So, the next step that I'm planning is an Aleph J. From the sounds of what you're after, the Pass amps on offer that can deliver in the 25 W pc range would probably fit your bill.

My thinking is that my learner ACA monoblocks will head down to my studio and drive some bookshelfs and get low down drive separately from a sub. The Aleph J will ultimately be the main unit in my living room where there's more space to fill.

That said I could happily live with the ACAs where they are (those 15 W monos drive wonderfully well) but, meh, why do that? Why stop at just 1 build? :cheers:

I had this idea of buying two parts kits and installing them side by side in the same chassis, each being driven by one RCA, naturally they wouldn't be balanced, but at least I'd get double the power.
Or am I missing something?

The answer is yes or no*.

Mono 'bridged' or 'balanced' mode (2 ACAs) gets more power out for 8 to 16 ohm impedance speakers so say 14 - 15 watts. They can effectively swing more volts.
'Parallel' mode (again 2 ACAs) gets more power into lower impedance speakers. 4 ohms or so. Could be 15 watts. This is because there is double the current available.

* So the answer depends on the speaker impedance as much as anything.

There are puts and takes for either mode and it is covered here https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1006/5046/files/ACA_Monoblock_Operation_RevA.pdf in the build guide.

Attachments

• Vesrions 2.jpg
    Vesrions 2.jpg
    730.2 KB · Views: 432
Hi, thanks for that reply-taken in the helpful vein that it was intended.
But, and it's a big but, this is a DIYaudio forum is it not? Why would I want to buy $280-$400 worth of pre amp?
I was hoping to find a way of doubling the power in stereo, that would be sufficient for me.
As I've said, I'm hoping that the bare bones 8wpc will suffice once built, as I'm hard pressed to follow an electronics wiring diagram, even the tripath amp that i built (and it works fine except on tuner) I built by sight and layout. Once parallel paths had been created on the circuit board, I was no longer able to test the resistors on the board, only prior to soldering.
Such is my limited ability.
Anyway, I still appreciate the reply, it's all good.

If you want an inexpensive DIY fix.. Reduce the feedback to get more gain. You can do that in the ACA by changing R12 from the 39.2K found in later versions of the ACA to the 68.1K found in the earlier version.

Jim