Amp Camp Amp - ACA

With this kit supply the noise floor is over 20 dB noisier compared with the Asus supply.

20170724_150236.jpg

20170724_131317.jpg

Rookie builder here, came here to show my progress with ACA and I some question also about PSU.

So, I'm using 2x18v 160VA toroid (should be enough?) and 4x22000uF of capacitance per channel. Going with CRC supply again. Is it enough R to use 3pc 0.47R 3w resistor in paraller, so we should get 0.47R 9w? I used 25w high power alu case resistors in my Aleph monos, just in case.

Bleeder resistors 2K2 3w ok or should i double to 6w?

I also used polyester capacitor (4,7uF wima 250v if I remember correctly) at the end of a powerlines between both rails in my Alephs, how about in this build?

Seems that upload fails all the time,so no photo :(

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
160VA per channel - enough

3 x 0R47 in parallel will give 0R47/3 ...... power is additive , both in series and parallel connection

bleeders ........ say that you have 22Vdc ....... /2k2 , gives 10mA (I=U/R)

by P=I^2 x R that's 220mW dissipation .... even 1W resistor should be happy

bypass - what's good for Aleph .....

160VA per channel - enough

3 x 0R47 in parallel will give 0R47/3 ...... power is additive , both in series and parallel connection

bleeders ........ say that you have 22Vdc ....... /2k2 , gives 10mA (I=U/R)

by P=I^2 x R that's 220mW dissipation .... even 1W resistor should be happy

bypass - what's good for Aleph .....

Thanks.

Oh, of course! Stupid me. Is one 3w 0r47 enough then for the supply? Or should i get something like 10w 0r47 resistor?

About that toroid: I have 80va per channel..but: if this draws something like 1-1,3A per channel and voltage is let's say 23v, 1,3a*23v= 29,9va * 3 = 89,7va so we are a littlebit on a small size but should be just enough, or is it?

Found the problem. Audio Analyzer was set to FLOAT, which didn't cause issues with the Asus supply but did cause issues on the kit supply.

I always got the best numbers with the analyzer set to FLOAT, but I have an Earth ground at the power supply. Do both supplies have a safety ground on the Mains connection and is the negative side of the DC output hooked to it inside the power supply?

I still don't quite get how to determine right size for R in CRC psu :(

A typical CRC: The first C is a reservoir capacitor, then follows a RC circuit which is a low pass filter: a resistor and a smoothing capacitor. Here you have a CRC filter. The typical reduction ratio of the ripple amplitude is a ratio between a resistor resistance and a smoothing capacitor reactance. And a reactance is a smoothing capacitor resistance at a given frequency.

In short it is like this :)

I always got the best numbers with the analyzer set to FLOAT, but I have an Earth ground at the power supply. Do both supplies have a safety ground on the Mains connection and is the negative side of the DC output hooked to it inside the power supply?
I already solved this problem, and posted results for the kit supply, it's no longer an issue.

The standard switcher power supply in the kit has a 2 pin mains lead. This required running the Audio Analyzer grounded.

The Asus supply has a 3 pin mains lead, using this supply the audio analyzer behaves well grounded or floating, maybe a little better floating.

Last edited:
Different Mosfets

New mosfets + Papa Mod + 19V
I get 0.31% THD. It didn't get to 0.1% but it's still a decent reduction.
Best results for distortion occur with Vds across Q1 between 9.3V and 9.5V with this mosfet.

20170728_145554.jpg

Will try higher voltage supply next, but that will be next week.

I'll go and listen to the two different versions.

Last edited: