Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2021, 03:42 PM   #10891
Alan4411 is offline Alan4411  Wales
diyAudio Member

Start with the basic voltage and resistance checks in the build guide Step 56 (Amp Camp Amp V1.6 Build Guide - diyAudio Guides)
Compare your results to the the good side.

Likely a poor solder joint that has failed due to thermal cycling.
Old 26th September 2021, 03:58 PM   #10892
captain pugwash is offline captain pugwash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks Alan.
Old 26th September 2021, 06:24 PM   #10893
tjw59 is offline tjw59  United States
diyAudio Member

@ captain_pugwash. Sounds like the connector again. Remember that it takes no current at all to run an LED. But it takes a good deal of current to run the amplifier. Equate it to a car with a loose battery post. You open the door and the dome light comes on. You try to start the engine and you it clunks once but wonít turn over. You might have to replace that connector. It sounds like it cannot sink the current of the amp. I had one that gave me fits, )totally my fault for overheating it) on the initial build.

On another builder induced error I had the same behavior from the power switch. Again, the LED would light but the switch couldnít sink the current. For that, I joined the two switch leads together with a wire nut because my stuff is on a power strip anyway.

You can test that by shorting the switch leads together with an alligator clip, or even a screwdriver.
Old 26th September 2021, 06:49 PM   #10894
Steve Luck is offline Steve Luck  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plott View Post
Hello!
New day, new listening session After one hour I adjusted the DC balance again, to 12,04V for both channels.
My preamp (a Project StreamBox RS with tube) can deliver 1V only, so I can listen at normal volumes, but not really loud with my Sonus Faber Venere 2.5. Normally I use a Copland CSA-28 integrated amp (or a Rega Elicit-R, but I don't like it anymore).
My first impression is, that the mids are gorgeous. Allan Taylor or Josh Kelley are just standing in front of me, great. The voice of Amy Duncan comes with all the facets very live-like. The bass is deep and "black" if that makes sense The amp offers a wide and deep and open soundstage, the instruments are well placed with air between them, so one can imagine and "hear" the stage eyes closed The highs are "sweet", maybe a little underemphasized but for this not tiring.
So... as the President said in "Independence Day", "not bad, not bad at all..." In fact, it is a great amp. Even when compared with the Copland.
Hopefully I can finish the second amp next week so I can use them bridged @15w.

Cheers
Nice report - Project make some nice gear, I have speedbox for my turntable. Second ACA running bridged or balanced will take a touch of sweetness out but the project should keep it sweet enough. Much easier to try parallel in the 1.8 version which someone on here told me they prefer.

Iím using Nutube pre-amp in 2U case with Elma rotary switch for four inputs and TKD volume pot. I love it. But I have Naim Atom headphone amp due for delivery any day now upgrading my DAC and replacing a broken streamer in one convenient package. It has XLR outputs as well as RCA so Iíll be trying the ACA in balanced mode for the first time. Iíve read one review of the Naim running a First watt F8 So Iím crossing everything that itís a good match for the ACA. Iíll keep the Nutube and build a third ACA for desktop use when Iím less broke.
Old 26th September 2021, 07:59 PM   #10895
diyAudio Member

Quote:
@ captain_pugwash. Sounds like the connector again. Remember that it takes no current at all to run an LED. But it takes a good deal of current to run the amplifier. Equate it to a car with a loose battery post. You open the door and the dome light comes on. You try to start the engine and you it clunks once but won’t turn over. You might have to replace that connector. It sounds like it cannot sink the current of the amp. I had one that gave me fits, )totally my fault for overheating it) on the initial build.
Interesting but would that account for only one cold heatsink?

Last edited by captain pugwash; 26th September 2021 at 07:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 26th September 2021, 08:24 PM   #10896
Steve Luck is offline Steve Luck  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Short between underside of board and heat sink?
Old 26th September 2021, 08:30 PM   #10897
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Short between underside of board and heat sink?
Been running fine for several months so I doubt it but I will check
Old 26th September 2021, 08:51 PM   #10898
RafaPolit is offline RafaPolit  Ecuador
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJohn View Post
Alright, so I am learning a lot just trying to understand your response. hahaha. I had to look up what "Vp" and "AV" was. I ordered a pre-amp about a month ago, but it's still getting made. It's about 2 weeks behind schedule so far. This preamp is rated at ~2 Vrms for the RCA output level, so if I'm understanding you correctly, that should bring up the volume. My Vp should be about 4Vrms.

I was wondering why everything I read said that my ACA and my F8 should be plenty loud with my 96 dB Klipsch speakers. I'm not going crazy or deaf. Best news of 2021. Thank you!

Since I don't know if this preamp will ever ship, maybe there is a preamp DIY kit I can put together. Is the B1Korg short for the Korg Nutube B1 that I see at the DIYAudio store? If it is, maybe it can be my 2nd DIY build. I recently built the ACA, hopefully the difficulty is on par or not too far off from that.
So, more or less yes, still... your units indicate that there is still a missing concept. When you say "My Vp should be about 4Vrms"... there is something wrong there: Volts peak-to-peak, or Vpp is one way to measure the amplitude, Vrms or root mean square is yet another way to measure amplitude.

So, your Vpp should be 4V (this is already clipping on my ACA, but I have a v1.0 with 19V PSU). Or, if you are measuring in Vrms, it should be a PRE capable of 2.8Vrms.

Very quick read in Wikipedia if my examples are not clear enough:
Amplitude - Wikipedia
Old 26th September 2021, 09:22 PM   #10899
tjw59 is offline tjw59  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain pugwash View Post
Interesting but would that account for only one cold heatsink?
Missed the part about one heatsink.

No it probably wouldnít so check out the v+ connection between the switch and the card with no warmth.
Old 27th September 2021, 07:48 AM   #10900
Plott is offline Plott  Austria
Have to find one :)
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp - ACA
Hi Steve,
thank you!
Yes, the Projects are really good, but I plan to build the B1K instead. With only 1V output the Project don't really fit with the ACA. And a sensitive speaker is a must, and of course it should also be a diy, hope I will get some help here . My FH MkIII is very special concerning the placement so I need a more universal speaker.
Good to read that you are satisfied with the Nutube-ACA-combination!

Amp Camp Amp - ACAHide this!Advertise here!