Cap. multiplier or regulated supply ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All of you

Just a question to the wise; i'm running my Z4 without the zener-string, due to very unprecise zeners at around 8 volts or so, so im using what I read as an capacitance multiplier in the article - this brings the voltage close at the suggested 42 volts, as im using a toroid with a sligthly lower voltage.
My question: can I expect any difference by ordering a lot of zeners and match them, so I get 42 volts, but regulated through the zeners, than by using the cap. multiplier - noise, sound quality ?
Is the difference that the cap. multiplier always is about 4 volts lower than unregulated input, whereas you can trim the output very precise if you use the zeners ??

Hope some of you will enligthen me :)

BTW, i moved the 221 ohm gateresistor directly on to the irfp240, before there was about 7 inches of wire between them - what a difference in detail and soundcolor - much more definition and also a much less dull sounding amp - it just keeps gettin' better - wonder what the BoSoZ will do further ;)

Thanx !

Hans Houmøller

The string of zeners, whatever voltage they will total, will actually help keep your p.s. voltage regulated at that level whenever you a have sagging or overvoltage at your power outlet. Keeps your power supply level at a stable/steady voltage. That should help in the sound quality department. They are also in series and should represent itself as one resistive load. You can string different zener values to get your desired volatage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.