Strange behavior of my Threshold SL10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Here are some photos(sorry for the quality, I will try to re take them).
I've double checked all the cables/connectors and external connections — all good.

Attachments

• IMG_1026.jpg
    IMG_1026.jpg
    742.8 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_1027.jpg
    IMG_1027.jpg
    799.1 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_1028.jpg
    IMG_1028.jpg
    764.6 KB · Views: 266

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I recapped it :) So everything should be good there. I guess one thing was that I was having hard time assembling all these tiny rotary switches after I deoxited them. Do you thing you can shorten something in there so you have this "mono" problem while switching functions will be ok?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
well , something is obviously wrong

useful and easy procedure these days , while working on gadget, is to make plenty of digi pictures

it can save you later , if nothing else - time saving during assembly ( less thinking needed) can be substantial

dunno ... comparing your pictures with pictures of SL10 from Treshold broshures , it seems all wires on pcbs are in place , and I resume that you didn't desolder any of them
culprit can be either on switches or pots - take a good look for unintentional shorts

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Ok, got it. Yep, of cause not gain wrong word, sorry. I will check resistance today. Another thing, I already bought a PCB of B1, cause I would like to replace the SL-10 with B1 and pearl 2, do you think I will "gain" :) in sound quality compare to sl-10?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
regarding gain issue - look at attached schm - for 6db gain decrease - either double in value 750R or halve in value 18K2 (both marked red)

B1 vs. SL10 .......

do not underestimate old geezers :clown:

B1 is welcome in your system if your sources are capable to drive power amp directly , swing-wise

Attachments

• SL10-line-3.jpg
    SL10-line-3.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
regarding gain issue - look at attached schm - for 6db gain decrease either double in value 750R or halve in value 18K2 (both marked red)

B1 vs. SL10 .......

do not underestimate old geezers :clown:

B1 is welcome in your system if your sources are capable to drive power amp directly , swing-wise

Thanks! Ok, I see for B1 vs sl-10 it is quite predictable, but what about phono stage of SL-10 vs Pearl 2? Have Mr. Pass and others improved it after ~30 years?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
regarding gain issue - look at attached schm - for 6db gain decrease - either double in value 750R or halve in value 18K2 (both marked red)

The schematic has a minor error compared to my SL10. The volume pot in my SL10 is 22K, not 10K. But your answer is still fine.
Another way of reducing the gain is to increase the value of the 1K resistor in series with the volume pot. Increasing it to ~12k will decrease gain by about 6db if your unit has a 10K pot. If your unit has a 22K pot then increasing the resistor to ~24K would drop the gain by 6db.

---Gary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.