F5 with BJT at input

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi

Yes it should sound fine. This is pretty much the same as my USSA-1 except I had used output mosfet designed for audio ( not switching ) and used current sources instead of resistors to bias input stage. For me USSA-1 sounded better than my F5.

If you want something even more breathtaking still with bjt input see the USSA-5.x amp series. The USSA-5 with its very low degeneration on mosfet provides a greater class A envelope for the same bias. Latest 5.2 version uses all easy to find parts.

USSA-5 PCB GB

USSA-5 Build with Review

Fab

Attachments

• CBEEDAEC-E942-4B92-B9E8-5EB0F2C2F6D1.jpeg
    CBEEDAEC-E942-4B92-B9E8-5EB0F2C2F6D1.jpeg
    751.5 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
> USSA-1 sounded better than my F5

Did I read correctly that your V5.2 has THD of 0.0075% at 1W 1kHz into 8R ?
And what distortion did you get from your F5 ?

If I am not wrong, the First Watt F5 has corresponding THD at 0.0013%.
And a random F5X build has H2 0.0006%, H3 0.001% at 1W 1kHz into 8R.

May be the latest trend is "higher distortion sounds better". ;)

Cheers,
Patrick

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi EUVL
I am not sure why you compare THD with appreciation of sound…..:rolleyes:
Please don’t post in the tube amp section ;)
I had not measured my F5 before I sold it unfortunately. I know many peoples liked its sound at an DIY show.
Appreciation of sound is personal and sorry if I have offended you…

Anyway, see my USSA-3.2B with lower distortion - if that matters - which design is jfet input such as F5 but with bjt output. It has lower THD and is not better sounding but just different sound than the USSA-5.2.;)
In fact USSA-5.2 was tuned to have such H2. H2 can be adjusted with P3/P4 to be as low as H3 or even lower.
My class AB designs have lower THD also and they sound different but not better.

USSA-5 PCB GB

Fab

Last edited: