Strange DC offset on Aleph 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just finished testing of my recent built DCB1 and was about to connect it to my Aleph 3 and found out something strange about A3's DC offset.

Before I turned on A3 with no input and no output connected, I measured about 1.5Vdc of speaker posts. :eek: This dc volt was there even when I disconnect power cord. I realized that it may be the voltage held by power filtering caps. After shorting each channel with a 10 ohm resistor, the dc volt was gone.

If I don't bleed the dc volt, the dc volt can stay there for more than a day. But as soon as I powered up A3, the dc offset dropped to about 30~40mV.

This is new to me, so I didn't resume the DCB1 trial and want to check with you guys to see if it is normal. My guess was that the dc volt should disappear if either some bleeding resistors were crossing the power caps or if the speaker was connected. The charges in the caps would just short out without hurting speakers. But since I have no bleeding resistor and no load connected, the discharge of power caps (why shows on speaker post) "looks like" a dc offset??

Thanks for you help to solve this mystery to me. :confused:

(I did do the total recap on this A3 and noted here)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.