SIT-1 and SIT-2 owner manuals

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
oh, i see. i wondered if it would go pop fizzle, you said save every one some time.
reminded me of pluging a computer into a powerstrip then, pluging said strip into itself and calling tek support.
good idea, using the xlr like that. kinda "outa the box" i might use that sometime.
anyway, thanks, hope they sell like hotcakes.

I'm happy to announce that FW has managed to get the first small run of
SIT-1 and SIT-2 amplifiers out the door, and I have posted the owner's
manuals on FIRST WATT Just go to the Watt's New section...

:cool:

Nelson, I just read The SIT owner's manuals and was very impressed with the time you take to explain certain fundamental technical principles behind the design of the SITs. Even so, what really caught my eye were the following two paragraphs:

"As a tradition, there is really no formula for such a thing, as you are dealing with the incredibly complex neural system that sits between people's ears, and it doesn't respond to sound in the same way as our distortion analyzers and oscilloscopes.

If you have experienced ears and if you know what you like when you hear it, then the approach that works is to try everything. That is largely what I do, remembering Edison's dictum “invention is 2 percent inspiration and 98 percent perspiration.”

As a listener, I'm encouraged by the position you express in the first paragraph as I fully concur, and have often found myself in objectivist/subjectivist debates essentially arguing that "spectrum analyzers don't appreciate music, humans do". As an basement experimenter, I'm encouraged to read in the second paragraph that even an engineer with your talent and long experience finds trial and error experimentation to be a key tool of the design process. Often, the design permutations seem to be discouragingly never ending, especially when each one must be auditioned to assess it's impact and the direction of the next variation. It's reassuring to know that such persistence can result in that special and rare, eureka! moment.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.