compare with aleph j and f5 amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.It has been long time but i am really curious about how Aleph J sounds.I already had F5 amp but it was broken when i am making some tests with different PS caps.(I also do not to have output Jfets of Aleph J2 and do not know if makes much different sound)
I only see that Jimmy from Southeast made blind tests and said F5 was the least good sounding and Aleph J was the best sounding amp.I remember that some says Aleph J is very good and F5 is not even close.I did not find any other information on forums.
Is there anyone who has both F5 amp and Aleph J amp? If yes What are the sonic differences?Can anyone gives point if possible?
Is it worth to build Aleph J over F5 because its idle consumption is 200w vs 130w of F5.
Bigger case is not good for WAF.
Thanks and Regards Umit

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
last iteration of F5 , where you have introduced third trimpot , is pretty versatile machine

if you have basic equipment for THD measurements (decent soundcard plus some nice proggie) , you can set it easily to suit your taste ...... from basically dominant 3rd to less dominant 3rd and .......

anyway , why just not trying it? if you have parts and chassis , you can make it even on veroboard

Joined 2018
Paid Member
I have an Aleph Mini J stereo, 2 Aleph J monoblocks, and 2 F5's. I rebuilt the AJ's earlier this year with upgraded power supplies and tweaked some things to get hum under control. Then I built the F5's. I run them in an active horn rig, so I need 4 channels.

A friend also has AJ Mono's and an F5 that he uses on Alon Lotus SE's. I lent him an F5 while I was working on his AJ's, and he bought it from me (he wouldn't let it go...).

On my bench now are F5 V3 Turbo monoblocs I'm building for my friend, and 2 SissySITs for me. You can say he fell in love with the F5 sound and is looking for more power. I expect he'll be doing a sell off of old Bryston amps, and maybe the lower power DIY First Watt stuff, we'll see.

My immediate impression when putting in the F5 was a sense of control on the bass, iron grip and fantastic depth. The amp is overall very clean and transparent top to bottom, but that bass improvement was a big first impression. I recall the AJ has a sweeter sound. Both are fantastic, it's a matter of taste.

Careful guys, biju55's definition of "handle better bass" may not coincide with yours. With that out of the way, please contribute your listening impression, but try to give some details on your description so he gets at least part of what you mean.

I have only had Aleph30 and still have an F5. Alephs were always renowned for superb midrange and a sloppy bass control. The latter may actually translate to more bass from a vented box which will freely resonate. However F5 will try to rein in the speaker and produce dry, clean bass. A sealed box or OB bass would probably be a preferred F5 application.

research old posts as all this was covered. Way back Papa used F5 at the bottom and F3 on the top to bi-amp his speakers. (F3 was renowned for soft/forgiving midrange similar to Alephs).

I remember also P.Daniel characterizing Aleph as having no top and no bottom and just a superb midrange etc. etc.

Aleph also generates a lot of heat and is not the best choice for driving lower impedances.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.