F5X -- the EUVL Approach - The Build Thread

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I'm interested in all available components. Where can I find a list with prices?

I don't think such a list exist, but you may get a good idea by looking here.
I don't know if there are any of these kits left - ask Patrick.

For a complete build you will probably be looking at well above 1000 EUR.

I still have to build my second Batch 1 F5X and I may have some left over parts if you still decide to go for the build.

Cheers,

Nic

Firstly no more cases.
We have enough spare heat sinks, and MIGHT have someone to machine the rest (in the EU) and provide the last 10 kits.
But certainly not before 2015.

Probably still have resistor sets, but too busy to sort them out.
Q-Sets the same. We have enough stock, but no time to sort.

PCBs are easier, since no need to match.
But then they are designed to fit our mechanics.

In any case, it is not a beginner's project, and you should not have the illusion that it will save you money.
It is about building amplifiers for fun, and to perfection. So no budget limit.

:)

Patrick

Last edited:
The GB2 document contains the cascode schematics. These were only sent to the GB participants.
Since I have not had time to test, nor any of my "test team", I stick to my rules of not publishing untested circuits.

Patrick

PS Trying to get back to normal. Thanks for asking.

Last edited:
I have been asked by PM for PCBs and matched devices for the F5X.

Do we have spare PCBs, or can we make some more ?
Do we have matched devices ?

The answer is yes and yes.
BUT as we found out from the last two batches, only a few of the takers are experienced DIYer's.
The rest expect nursing of most if not all of their problems, even when they are not design faults.
As we still have little or no time to do that, we cannot accommodate further requests.

Until such time when we are ready to support public projects again, we'll continue to say no.
Sorry to disappoint, but that's how it is.
In the meantime, I want to get back to do some DIY and have some fun myself.

:)

Merry Christmas,
Patrick

Thanks

I have really got started on my F5X, most parts have now arrived including all the surface mounted parts ( I have soldered SM parts before but not this amount before).
Now that I started looking into it I really have to say thanks to the XEN team what they have done for us lucky buyers is deliver a fantastic package. I ordered all the additional bits , like the resistors and reg bits as well. It is only now I realise that what has been delivered - each and every component has been measured and allocated to a specific position in the PCB's, including all the resistors.

Thanks

I will post pictures as I go along - and show errors that I make on the way - maybe this will help some that are still building as I have not seen so many have been finished.

Regards

Geof

Last edited:
My first error

Using WBT speaker terminals - they don't fit
- Spacing of terminals is to narrow
- Size of terminal insulator is to big to fit ( could be re-drilled, but see next point)
- Back isolator is square and does not fit

What I had left over from an old project that worked perfectly is a copy of the WBT (I guess China sourced).

Attachments

• _DSC0336.jpg
    _DSC0336.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 762
Our fault. Mark was using Dynavox and he used that for the drawings.
I was using something else (MC Contact 4mm Banana).

If I understand correctly, you can use the 0765 directly without the dark red front insulator in your picture.
Also the centre distance does not have to be the 30mm as specified with the WBT click system.
The hole needs to be drilled out to dia. 11.5 with a 2.5mm wide key.
If you cannot manage that locally, you can send the rear panel back to Mark and we'll do it for you.
But it might take some time, since the workshop is 150% loaded with work.

The rear insulator you can use just a plane plastic washer with the correct diameter.
Have a look at Farnell or RS. The cutout in the Rear Bracket of 18mm should be large enough.

Let me know by email through the forum if you still have problems.

Patrick