F5 Turbo Builders Thread

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Will depend on inductance of the resistors, umut.

The only way to work out what you need is to construct the circuit in a simulator, put in measured inductance values, and run high level 50kHz square waves into the sim.

With the correct capacitor value has been reached you will see no ringing at the output, and no oscillation. If it is too high the output resembles a sine wave and if it too low you will see peaks.

The feedback compensation is simply a cap across each of the feedback resistors. The source compensation is more tricky, a capacitor from drain to gate is what we normally use. If your resistors are extremely inductive, you might need a resistor in series with the capacitor(s) to damp the circuit.

You'll be in a bit of unknown territory, nobody has built this circuit with inductive resistors. I did, and I ended up throwing them away and replacing them with the metal plate resistor type.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes. I've been around, just not posting much except in subscribed threads.

umut, if the resistors are not inductive additional compensation will not be needed. You might, depending on your layout and other issues, still need feedback compensation, about 1nF is recommended though I've built with as low as 220pF and had no issues long-term (8 years now).

Hi, i have hum problem with my F5T. It's not very loud, but it can be noticed from listening position.
For now i tried to lift the safety ground but with no improvement. If i short the input it is almost dead quiet.
Any idea where to start?

Attachments

• 2021-05-19 21.41.22.jpg
    2021-05-19 21.41.22.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 369
  • 2021-05-19 21.45.22.jpg
    2021-05-19 21.45.22.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 376
to a007udio #6592

Hello a007udio,

do you have the possibility to change your preamp or the source?
Only to be sure, that the hum isn't induced by a stage before the F5T.:rolleyes:

Your F5T-build looks very good!

The AC-lines are well twisted but running directly over the toroid. This
could be a scenario that you get problems/ hum there?
I assume it is 50 Hz-hum?
Possible groundloop over the RCA - input A - to the frontendboards - to RCA-input B? I think about that, because if you short the inputs it is dead quiet?

Only some thoughts....

Cheers
Dirk :D

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Let’s try a starground.

Connect all your grounds here.

Both channels PSU GND to the amplifier PCBs.

Both RCA grounds. (Yes, really.)

Both speaker black. (In the time being, you’ll have to bypass the speaker protection, attach the speaker output directly from amplifier boards to the binding posts). EDIT: looking more at your boards, I don’t think you have to disable the speaker protection… just attach the protection input blacks to the PSU as directed.

Keep the safety earth where it is.

Attachments

• 71406851-8338-4763-836F-A67BE5216920.jpg
    71406851-8338-4763-836F-A67BE5216920.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 282
Last edited: