F5 Turbo Builders Thread

I was thinking of having a play with some regulators to drive pucks (IXKN40N60C IXTN40P50P), I haven't seen it done before (someone must have) my remaining half dead brain cell can't figure out if its a stupid idea :D

Yes, I know it's missing vital bias presets on the regulator inputs.

Attachments

• Fish.jpg
    Fish.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
Hello Everybody.
Assuming advancements in silicon technology, and various new semiconductors that are being offered today, are there any interesting alternatives for output power transistors, if you were to building the First Watt F5 V2 device?
Cheers,
Ziggy.

Great question! :)

Hopefully, there are - and some knowledgable person will be able to identify them.

Andy

You tell me! :D
How does one establish whether it is a suitable alternative - or not?
Andy
I don't really know. That is why I am asking / guessing ...
Low gate-source Capacitance?
Low Reverse Transfer Capacitance?
Low power losses?
High current capability?
Low Rds ON?
Low R_thermal_junction_to_case?
No need for heat sink?
Specifically, my question is targeting at Silicon Carbide and/or Gallium Nitride
{...Traditional silicon has been around for quite some time now}.
Are there any characteristics of SiC or GaN technologies, that could come in handy whilst building an F5?
Next question: in the absence of the "complement" device within a given technology, would it be possible to construct the F5 based on a "quasi-complement" pair, using two of the SAME polarity devices, like they did in the 1970's, when PNP power transistors were scarce and hard to match?

Last edited:
Joined 2013
Paid Member
Progress on my F5T v3 balanced mono blocks. I have some metal work to add to the front panel above and below the VU meters and more drilling to do. The top and bottom panels need cooling holes yet.
The back panel has both input boards and the speaker protection board mounted on it. The second RC filter PC board needs a mounting platform to raise the board between the amp boards, about 6" tall. Considering all the holes I've been drilling, small welding job will be a welcome relief.
I still need VU meter drivers, I want to use drivers which use the amplifier output, not the input.

Attachments

• IMG_0861.jpg
    IMG_0861.jpg
    743 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_0862.jpg
    IMG_0862.jpg
    839.9 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_0863.jpg
    IMG_0863.jpg
    842.6 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_0865.jpg
    IMG_0865.jpg
    874.3 KB · Views: 320
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Built and tested 2 PSUs for a pair of V3 Monos. I used temporary 0R47 resistors to test, chokes will go in the amp chassis.

Chassis and amp boards will come next. Also need to do some mosfet matching.

Attachments

• CCA7E4FF-7EA4-4437-A20A-C78092636671.jpg
    CCA7E4FF-7EA4-4437-A20A-C78092636671.jpg
    863.1 KB · Views: 353
  • C5A2C7F1-B9BB-4C6A-AA48-7A26AD6CA88A.jpg
    C5A2C7F1-B9BB-4C6A-AA48-7A26AD6CA88A.jpg
    749.4 KB · Views: 343
Hello guys/ladies. I'm building a 2 channel F5T V2 with the V# boards. I've been sourcing parts and have a quick question for you...

Both the FQA12P20 and N20 are now obsolete, I search the forum and found several people who have used other packages.

Would these be suitable? Some of the values on the Datasheet look good others, are what brought me here to ask those with more knowledge.

Q3-4 IRFP9240PBF
Q5-6 IRFP240PBF

Thanks guys, I do appreciate your time.

JT