Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

F5 Turbo Builders Thread
F5 Turbo Builders Thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Today, 03:35 AM   #6331
Bfpca is offline Bfpca  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Bfpca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nova Scotia
F5 Turbo Builders Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
I modelled this on LTspice years ago.

If I remember rightly, the resistance was chosen to limit the spike in the inrush current on startup, given the size of the cap banks. It is higher than usual.

The delay was chosen to limit the spike during switchover.

Initially, the caps charge *very* quickly. For the switchover spike to be under 15 amps , the voltage level at the cap bank needed to be, as you say, near 10% of the rail voltage. If it was say 11 or 12% , the spike would be well over 20 amps, and could take out a fast blow fuse.

It takes a lot more time to fill the cap bank near the end that it does at the start. All that waiting is to fill the last couple of percent. And still, a very close rated fast blow fuse will open after being stressed a few times. I've switched them to slow blow to avoid that nuisance.
With a class A amplifier you need to account for the high bias current that is also flowing through the series thermistor resistance. This lowers the maximum cap bank voltage during the initial thermistor limited charge period and makes the current draw much higher when the thermistor is switched out. So you need to use a lower value thermistor in order to get the charge up. The reason that the current is higher than expected when the thermistor is bypassed is that the energy stored goes up with the square of the capacitor voltage. So double the voltage=4 times the energy stored. 90 % voltage charge is storing 81% of the energy, leaving 19% to be topped up. Slow blow fuses seem to be very reliable when properly sized for this application.

Last edited by Bfpca; Today at 03:38 AM.
  Reply to this post

Reply


F5 Turbo Builders ThreadHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
B1 builders thread Bas Horneman Pass Labs 728 12th March 2018 07:45 PM
F5 Turbo is posted Nelson Pass Pass Labs 638 27th December 2017 07:12 PM
F5 Turbo Circuit Boards chchyong89 Pass Labs 2404 8th October 2017 08:14 PM
F5 turbo problems Rob Dingen Pass Labs 17 11th January 2013 09:38 PM
F5 Turbo ............. if only !!!!!! a.wayne Pass Labs 23 21st January 2012 03:24 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:51 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2021 diyAudio
Wiki