Building a Pearl 2

Thanks Ben Mah - your explanation is very helpful and instructive!

I also built a Nutube Korg B-1 and I was thinking about swapping the BA 2018 out for that with the Pearl 2. It sounds great and has higher gain which works with the F6 I built. Given that it's power requirements are positive only - I will probably supply it's power from the original wall wart and not the Pearl 2 boards.

Thanks again!

Joined 2002
Paid Member
bonjour
j'ai un pearl 2 . j'ai lu qu'il inversait la phase absolue . comment faire pour le mettre en phase correcte
merci

Google translation:
Hello
I have a pearl 2. I read that it reverses the absolute phase. how to put it in correct phase
thank you

Hi Wagner
Please post only in English, it's one of the Forum Rules
diyAudio Rules

George

hello
thank you
that I knew
but I wouldn't want to reverse the loudspeakers every time I change CD and turntable. I wouldn't want to reverse the cell anymore. I would like to know if there is an intervention to be done in the pearl 2 to put it with the right phase

If the Pearl 2 is your only phono amp, then swapping the polarities on the phono cartridge will allow you to leave the speaker leads in their normal position. That way you can change between a phono source and a CD source without having to change anything else.

Last edited:
Also my 834p has an inverting stage at output (cathode follower) but my DAC has the inverting option, so in my situation it's easier to invert speakers polarities. If you have detachable headshell on your turntable, you can use one cartridge with reverse polarities for the Pearl and another with normal phase for another non-inverting phono preamp

If the Pearl 2 is your only phono amp, then swapping the polarities on the phono cartridge will allow you to leave the speaker leads in their normal position. That way you can change between a phono source and a CD source without having to change anything else.

Yet another way (if you don't mind diving back into your Pearl with a soldering iron, or if you haven't built it yet) is to swap the signal and earth leads on the rca inputs. Solder the signal lead to the rca earth lug and the earth lead to the rca centre pin. It would be the same as swapping the polarity on the cartridge.

Hello vcec thank you . but i don't think that will work. 1st the signal will go to the mass so in the chassis .2em the masses being common there will no longer be any stereo . I don't want to reverse the cell or the speaker. I want to modify the pearl circuit to have the right phase.thank you for having an answer from an electronics technician

Attachments

• IMG_2836.jpeg
    IMG_2836.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 394
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Would it be OK to run it straight from the DC inputs.
Andrew

That’s what I did. Works fine fine for me. I really didn’t have other options as I used the dual chassis approach and have no other DC point to connect. When I built a BA-3 as preamp I used raw dc at the rectifier but that’s not really an option with my Pearl II.

You’ll have a lot of voltage to contend with so a higher value resistor in front of the LED will be in order (if you want a softer look). I also prefer a 3mm blue colored LED’s rather than the clear blue for a more diffuse look. I’m learning from my mistakes…in the Pearl II (one of my first projects) I used two 5mm clear blue LED’s without enough resistance and they’re like headlights. I plan to revisit some day with a transistor based dimmer and swapping out the LED’s. Can’t seem to get back to it with so many other projects.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
New LED are so incredibly efficient that they need microamperes, not milliamperes to light them at a level suitable for our uses, particularly if you are looking at them straight-on.

I’d start with 1K/volt of supply for the LED resistor, (24Kohm to begin) and that might be too much. Don’t hesitate to add more series resistance to get it to a level you like, it’s just a lightbulb.