Building a Pearl 2

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Just use smaller caps on the universal board. Easy.

Using the super reg only makes sense if you are going to not use the onboard regulators., and you'll still need a raw DC PSU anyway...

Making two chassis for the RIAA section doesn't make sense from a grounding standpoint and you'll probably increase overall noise.

codyt - check your PM

Pictures always help make things more clear. If you post a picture of your transformer, especially a nice and clear image of the wires leading in and out, this will be much easier.

Here are some pics of what I have of the PSU so far. I have not installed the fuse or power button because I don't have a drill bit that large. I have to wait until Monday at work. I added one photo of the RIAA boards in their cases, which will reside in separate cases, which I am not sure is a great idea, but...

Any assistance on how to wire this, I would greatly appreciate it!

Attachments

• IMG_20191122_185348.jpg
    IMG_20191122_185348.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_20191122_185408.jpg
    IMG_20191122_185408.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG_20191122_193359.jpg
    IMG_20191122_193359.jpg
    917.5 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_20191122_185358.jpg
    IMG_20191122_185358.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 526
Here are some pics of what I have of the PSU so far. I have not installed the fuse or power button because I don't have a drill bit that large. I have to wait until Monday at work. I added one photo of the RIAA boards in their cases, which will reside in separate cases, which I am not sure is a great idea, but...

Any assistance on how to wire this, I would greatly appreciate it!

Super clean looking!

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Finally got my PSU put together. Not very pretty but I wanted to build it this way to get me to learn how to use a schematic. Assuming I did it correctly, it’s using Wayne’s PSU schematic.

It puts out about 30.5v which sound right.

I have 90% of the RIAA boards built. Somehow I missed a couple parts on the BOM so I just need those and should have the chassis by the end of the week.

Next, I just need to get a new turntable.

Attachments

• 52DB43C5-05C9-4EF4-8C06-A86E08F151F9.jpeg
    52DB43C5-05C9-4EF4-8C06-A86E08F151F9.jpeg
    333.1 KB · Views: 358
Finally got my PSU put together. Not very pretty but I wanted to build it this way to get me to learn how to use a schematic. Assuming I did it correctly, it’s using Wayne’s PSU schematic.

It puts out about 30.5v which sound right.

I have 90% of the RIAA boards built. Somehow I missed a couple parts on the BOM so I just need those and should have the chassis by the end of the week.

Next, I just need to get a new turntable.

Can I ask what case you used for the PSU and what connector you're going to use to transfer power to the RIA?

Looks neat enough :)

Joined 2017
Paid Member
It’s the Galaxy 2U 230 x 170. I wanted to use a 1U but my transformer won’t fit.

I plan on using standard XLR connector with Mogami W2534 cable. Mostly just because I have a bunch and can easily make a meter long cable with jacks. I think it should work ok. I’ll let you know.

Question for the Technical bods out there. My turntable has a ground wire that I connected to my Integrated Amp when I was using it. That would connect the turntable to directly to mains earth pin the Amp is plugged into (IEC connection).

If you ran the Pearl from batteries and are running your pre-amp from DC wall wart with no earth cable or connection where would you run the turntable earth or ground to?

Great looking case. Is that a Pesante or 1U Galaxy?

Slimline 1U with front plate printed to order to match the ACA font and central positioning.

The problem with it is the height restricts your choice of caps quite a bit. However a 5mm standoff placed between top or bottom covers and the chassis is just enough to bring top or bottom lid flush with the front face and give you the height needed to open up your options on caps.

I started going through the BOM spreadsheet updating MFR and parts suppliers no's in preparation for ordering all the bits but found it hadn't saved properly.