Building a Pearl 2

I know I'm late to the party now that everybody talking of P3, but I'm a proud owner of a P2 since about three month.
It's very silent (powered with @rhthatcher external power supply) and sound amazing
Some picture took before final assembly

IMG_0851.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0856.jpg
    IMG_0856.jpg
    644.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0857.jpg
    IMG_0857.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 113
Reactions: 4 users
I had a bit of an odd experience with my Pearl II and wondered if someone could shed some light, as I think it may be revealing a fault in one of the channels.

I connected the pearl II to my preamp using a set of Musiclink interconnects which are purported to have a RLC circuit between signal and ground inside a black box. What ended up happening was that I got a huge amount of hiss out of one channel of my phono stage with nothing connected. The other channel was silent. Any thoughts as to where to look? This has only been a problem with this set of cables, and changing the cables left for right didn't change anything.

I do recall we had a bit of a misfire when we built this preamp too, and left an LED out which caused a resistor to overheat. Not sure if that would possibly be related but those parts were obviously replaced and the stage works. I've always felt like there was a little channel imbalance but just chalked it up to my years of drumming with no headphones on. Now I'm not so sure.

Any input is appreciated as to a logical starting place.

Thanks!

I know I'm late to the party now that everybody talking of P3, but I'm a proud owner of a P2 since about three month.
It's very silent (powered with @rhthatcher external power supply) and sound amazing
Some picture took before final assembly

View attachment 1244821

Mvaldes,

Where did you obtain the umbilical cord from? And would you be so kind as to point me to that external power supply that you mentioned above? Thank you so much.

Reactions: 1 user
I just made an updated Pearl power supply for the PassDIY Pearl Phono. The design goals for the board and power supply included:
  • Compact with PCB mount transformer
  • Able to fit in an off-the-shelf chassis (e.g. Hammond) OR into the 10x10 grid of a Modushop / DIYAudio chassis
  • CRCRC filtering for each rail
  • Include optional snubber circuitry
  • Include ground break rectifier on the PCB
  • Include A/C cap on the PCB
  • Flexibility for 120/240 mains
  • LEDs on PCB (for rail voltage indication and front panel indicator)
It's now running on my Pearl 2, and I'll be shipping it in a few days for a long term beta tester.

Rails are ~34V, with one a little higher than the other. I used the PCB fab house to make aluminum PCBs as front and back plates.

I plan to write up a Build Doc and BOM, then offer up the main PCB and front/back plate PCBs. Stay tuned. I have a few sets on hand, PM if interested.
Hello.
I'm not a professional, but I need a power supply for PassDIY Pearl Phono2 and shortly also Pearl 3 in EU (AC 230 V in Poland). Could you send me private info?
Thanks, Peter