Building a Pearl 2

C5 and C6 will see 20 volts, so 25 volt rating will be fine. For C4 and C24 I would go with 35 volt, but If I had good quality 25 volt rated caps, it wouldn't bother me for this design. If you had a regulator fail shorted you would be over voltage, but you would have other problems at that point?

Hi guys, question to the freq. Compensation of R16 in parallel with C9: how big is the Influence on the linearity?
I want to reduce R16 to 70k or 80k and add R15 (20k or 30k) so that I can reduce the gain a bit by Shorting R15 easily.
Thanks a lot
Thorsten
Two capacitors to consider, C9 across the 100k and the gate-to-source on the output MOSFET.

If you reduce R16 to 10K from 100k you will reduce the gain by 20dB.

At the same time, you move the frequency of the pole. C9 is there for stability

20220205_123028.jpg
Ongoing.. :cool:

Joined 2012
Paid Member
The capacitor in conjunction with the resistor R13 100K form a -3dB high pass filter. With the specified values the cut-off frequency is 8 Hz. Changing the capacitance to 1uF lowers the cut-off to 1.6 Hz. I don't think there is any benefit to such a low cut-off frequency. Note that unwanted low frequencies such as turntable rumble, warp wow, etc. could be issues if too low of a high pass frequency is used.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I'm just starting another Pearl II. I've checked Mouser, DigiKey, Newark and RS and they are out of stock on ZTX450. I prefer not to purchase from eBay and risk counterfeit devices. I've read that BC550 or MPSA18 is a working substitute, but not necessarily in the Pearl II. Any suggestions for sources or substitutes will be appreciated, thanks.

I'm just starting another Pearl II. I've checked Mouser, DigiKey, Newark and RS and they are out of stock on ZTX450. I prefer not to purchase from eBay and risk counterfeit devices. I've read that BC550 or MPSA18 is a working substitute, but not necessarily in the Pearl II. Any suggestions for sources or substitutes will be appreciated, thanks.
Octopart shows some ZTX450 in stock at Arrow, Newark, Future Electronics, etc.
https://octopart.com/ztx450-diodes+inc.-13152700#PriceAndStock

Reactions: 1 user
The capacitor in conjunction with the resistor R13 100K form a -3dB high pass filter. With the specified values the cut-off frequency is 8 Hz. Changing the capacitance to 1uF lowers the cut-off to 1.6 Hz. I don't think there is any benefit to such a low cut-off frequency. Note that unwanted low frequencies such as turntable rumble, warp wow, etc. could be issues if too low of a high pass frequency is used.
Thanks for the explanation. Will use a 0,47u I have around.
For the output cap C13: I can go down to 1u, right?
Stay safe!