Building a Pearl 2

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Maybe I got lucky, but my Pearl II is a single chassis build with the transformer and PCBs all in one place. It used to be in two boxes and I put it all together into one as an experiment. I can't tell the difference. Link is in my signature.

I'll have to look at your build. Like 6l6, I couldn't get my power supply box within 3 feet of the Pearl 2 chassis.

Russellc

Russellc - here is an image of my all-in-one build of the Pearl II.

763012d1560563702-pearl-pearl2-jpg

I didn't think it was necessary, but I later added a copper band/shield to the transformer with some copper sheeting scraps I had laying around. I don't hear any noise at all from this arrangement.

Here's the top side Ground regimen on the topside of the PASSDIY boards -- note that within the yellow circle is a somewhat high impedance connection between the copper "pour" and the preamplifier's grounded components.

If you flip the board over, the power supply components are all connected to a ground plane and this is again connected with a high impedance trace to the signal side of the board and grounding regimen.

Attachments

• Pearl_Ground.png
    Pearl_Ground.png
    835.4 KB · Views: 445
Use LSK170B -- now carried by a major semi distributor NacSemi Your Global Partner For Electronic Design and Fulfillment Services - NAC Semi

some of the smaller distributors like Allegro and Trendsetter carry low noise JFETs.

you can also get an SOT adapter and use CPH3910 which is in current production from ONSemi -- SYN08 has tested them and found their noise to be only slightly worse than BF862. gfs of 20 to 40 mS
https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/ENA1965-D.PDF

Can these be used, found in my parts bin

Attachments

• IMG_20201028_220023_resized_20201028_100054682.jpg
    IMG_20201028_220023_resized_20201028_100054682.jpg
    693.7 KB · Views: 348
Joined 2009
Paid Member
First test run of of my Pearl 2:

- I've used 2 pcs. matched k369 as inputs and k117 for the LTP in second stage.

- Not completely hum dead quite at "full throttle", but nearly (whatever that means), i.e. power transformer and PCB in same casing get surprisingly well along. I need to do a little work at rectifier bridge probably. Either "Quasimodo" approach or just head under arm capacitors across diodes approach.

- I run slightly less current (around 7 mA) in the FET at the output. I think it got a bit hot at 10mA, and output offset adjustment became sensitive to temperature.

- Omitting of C7 is a must. That took some time (Note to self: Read entire build thread next time).

- I'm embarrassed using boards from an Ebay "PCB copycat pusher" . At least, they are not from Wayne's gerber files I can tell, because then there would be no error in the layout :yes: (but it it could be fixed). I was tempted because they were inside EU. Long story short: I will use the original stuff and close my eyes for ridiculous customs handling fee next time.

- From fist impression sound is very good. I'm surprised about the firmness of bass. I've had to cheat in the RIAA compensation with design like Le'Pacific to get enough bass, but the Pearl2 is very good in that respect without "cheating". Maybe due to cojones of the MOSFET at the output. At least I think it sounds great.

Have any with a successful standard Pearl 2 build measured the noise level with a 47k cartridge load resistor, what can I expect? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20201031_100544.jpg
    IMG_20201031_100544.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_20201031_100558.jpg
    IMG_20201031_100558.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 293
  • RIAA error.pdf
    4.9 KB · Views: 89
Hi, I am debugging my Pearl 2 boards. I am powering the preamp +-39V from a pair of lithium batteries.

The music come thru but there is a lot of noise. It is unusable as is. Using my oscilloscope's FFT function, I have measured 60Hz noise on the output. My turntable is a Rega Planar 2.

Using a Parasound Zphono phono preamp, I have no problems listening to the Rega turntable.

What magic is happening in the Parasound that is not happening in the Pearl 2?

Since, I am using batteries to power the Pearl 2, any ideas on how to get rid of the 60Hz noise? I am using RCA right and left from the turn table, so the chassis grounds should be connected.....I think.

It could be my scope that is adding the noise, it is a cheap Rigol o-scope.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Hello,

I want to change my Pearl 2 from its current MC setup to something useful for an Ortofon 2M Black because a buddy is going to use it for a while. Other than changing the loading resistance and capacitance as needed, I am planning on putting a 1kOhm resistor at R14 to lower the gain to 55 dB.

Are there any other recommendations I should consider to optimize it for the 2M Black?

Thanks,
Alan