Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Building a Pearl 2
Building a Pearl 2
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2018, 04:24 PM   #1141
Russellc is offline Russellc  United States
diyAudio Member

Building a Pearl 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQuaide View Post
He's 19 pounds of guard cat. Unfortunately he has developed a liking for speaker grills.

One thing I need to change is to wire the inputs/outputs next to each other instead of across the chassis, tonearm cables don't reach that far apart.
I leave mine facing the wall when gone. Speakers are spiked, but I discovered the basic plastic feet the come with power amp chassis, with felt sliders stuck on bottom, allow me to move them around.

I had one cat that hearing the gentle hum of a tube amp through Altec A7, ran full speed and put a four foot death grip on a 515 8G cone....not once, but twice. Another removed the dust cover from a 416 8C. A7 now have protective screens.....

Russellc
Old 16th December 2018, 04:27 PM   #1142
McQuaide is offline McQuaide  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellc View Post
I leave mine facing the wall when gone. Speakers are spiked, but I discovered the basic plastic feet the come with power amp chassis, with felt sliders stuck on bottom, allow me to move them around.

I had one cat that hearing the gentle hum of a tube amp through Altec A7, ran full speed and put a four foot death grip on a 515 8G cone....not once, but twice. Another removed the dust cover from a 416 8C. A7 now have protective screens.....

Russellc

Yea better the grills than the cones.
Old 16th December 2018, 04:47 PM   #1143
Russellc is offline Russellc  United States
diyAudio Member

Building a Pearl 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQuaide View Post
Yea better the grills than the cones.
Frustrating, but part of having pets. I once had a Cat that caused me to find a different place to store records. Dear thing, but she loved to use the tops of album sleeves for a scratching surface.

Oh well. You know, as dear as all those albums are, I would take them all to the driveway and light the whole pile on fire to have her back. Such are pets.

Russellc
Old 17th December 2018, 07:43 AM   #1144
Wellerman is offline Wellerman
diyAudio Member

I'm currently building a board with dipswitches for different loading and gain. On this board I will also place a series capacitor for R14 to stabilize dc offset. Will 100uF do? This is the largest Silmic II I have, alternative would be 220uF Panasonic FC or FM. Should I bypass this with a film cap? Which value? I have 0.1, 0.33 and 1 uF on hand.
Old 17th December 2018, 01:30 PM   #1145
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Building a Pearl 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellerman View Post
On this board I will also place a series capacitor for R14 to stabilize dc offset. Will 100uF do? This is the largest Silmic II I have, alternative would be 220uF Panasonic FC or FM. Should I bypass this with a film cap? Which value? I have 0.1, 0.33 and 1 uF on hand.
Putting a capacitor in series with R14 will allow the gate of Q5 to float.
Old Yesterday, 06:02 AM   #1146
metalman is offline metalman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellerman View Post
I'm currently building a board with dipswitches for different loading and gain. On this board I will also place a series capacitor for R14 to stabilize dc offset. Will 100uF do? This is the largest Silmic II I have, alternative would be 220uF Panasonic FC or FM. Should I bypass this with a film cap? Which value? I have 0.1, 0.33 and 1 uF on hand.
Wayne gave guidance of values between 47 and 470uF, and suggested a small film bypass. I used a 220uF Silmic II bypassed with a 0.1uF film cap and I get my output offset stable to less than 1mV.

Building a Pearl 2Hide this!Advertise here!