Building a Pearl 2

I think most "compatibility" issues between cart and preamp would come down to resistance/capacitance loading, which your Pearl should be compatible with.

I don't have an answer but maybe some things that you can check:

We need to ensure that your TT and cart are setup properly. Since it works as expected with the NAD, for now I guess we can assume that they are.

The Ortofon site mention 150-300pF load capacitance which is higher than some other carts, such as AT.
I would record tracks with 0pF and 300pF and plot the frequency spectrum and see if there is any difference.

What type of cable is the stock Rega? Do you have a different, low capacitance cable you can try?

I would put my DMM on both L/R input RCA's and ensure that you have 47K there.

Also, try swapping the output cable from the Pearl, maybe it is defective?

I'll have to jerry rig my 2 150pf caps in parallel to get 300pF, but even just 150pF sounds worse to my ears than omitting C22 altogether.

It's not my favorite part about the Rega, but it has attached cables which are labeled as "low capacitance" and use Neutrik-Rean RCAs. I haven't measured them for capacitance myself.

My DMM reads 46.8k on both of the inputs.

I've used several different cables for the output of the Pearl and haven't seen a difference.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I'll have to jerry rig my 2 150pf caps in parallel to get 300pF, but even just 150pF sounds worse to my ears than omitting C22 altogether.

It's not my favorite part about the Rega, but it has attached cables which are labeled as "low capacitance" and use Neutrik-Rean RCAs. I haven't measured them for capacitance myself.

My DMM reads 46.8k on both of the inputs.

I've used several different cables for the output of the Pearl and haven't seen a difference.

Have you looked into the zobel network across the loading resistor? I don’t recall which parameters it can address, but it’s one cart mod that comes to mind.

I just listened and compared the spectrum of clips from the Pearl 2 with 0-300 pF loading, and there wasn't much difference actually. I must have been experiencing placebo before. If the issue was with my table's cables (capacitance), I would think that I would also hear the problem with the NAD since it claims 100 pF loading.
Regardless, before I drop 200+ to rewire my table, I've ordered a head shell to allow me to mount my cart on a different table. I realize this doesn't really guarantee that the cables are not the issue because the cables on the other table could have the same problem, but I find that unlikely.
Does anyone here have experience using a Pearl 2 cart with an Orotofon 2M series, specifically a Blue or Red since the only difference between the two is the stylus tip?

Is there any way a defect in my cartridge could cause an issue with just the Pearl 2?

Nothing seems to make sense because, on paper, I've set up my Pearl 2 within the recommended specs from Ortofon for my cartridge (150-300 pF, 47k).
I feel like I'm losing my mind.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Honestly, rewiring the Rega to accommodate a $200 cart is not logical at all. (That said, this is audio, where logic is normally thrown out the window... so who am I to speak...)

I've used the Pearl 2 with the Blue and it sounded great. (on my Planar25 at the time)

I feel like I'm losing my mind.

]I just listened and compared the spectrum of clips from the Pearl 2 with 0-300 pF loading, and there wasn't much difference actually. I must have been experiencing placebo before.

Are you losing your mind? doubtful. But you have been obsessing about this for a while and probably need to step away from it for a little while and come back with fresh ears.

Trying the Blue on a different table is a good step to help eliminate variables.

Buying a different cart for the cable re-wire money might be a better solution, so you have another nice cartridge and you can further deduce if your Blue is the issue or if it's something else. It's hard to not heartily recommend the Grado silver or gold.

Could it be the table? dunno. Maybe. I absolutely loved my Rega, had it for years and wore out many cartridges. Many happy days and music made by it. Glad to have had it and know what they do/sound like.

Pearl 2 works!

tayj10, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, it seems quite peculiar and i think you're right to think it is the cartridge. Not much of a solution, but perhaps your dealer could loan / sell you a used cartridge to test with? or you can buy a cheap conical or elliptical and test with that. Or as 6L6 says, maybe step away and revisit it with a fresh pair of eyes.

I tested my build yesterday and it seems to be working fine. I did add the capacitor in series with R14 and that made zeroing the DC offset quite simple.

I built it stock with Dale resistors and Wima / Vishay FKP caps, but used some claritycap / Audyn caps as the output capacitors.

Last bit was to make the umbilical cable - used 4Pin XLRs and some Canare 4s6 cable which came in the mail today - spent the afternoon listening and it is glorious! Thanks to Wayne, 6L6, and the numerous others here whose advice is to thank for music, rather than smoke, coming from the system today!

Attachments

• IMG_1834.jpg
    IMG_1834.jpg
    985.7 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_1835.jpg
    IMG_1835.jpg
    876.4 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_1836.jpg
    IMG_1836.jpg
    904.8 KB · Views: 369
Regarding the big output caps 2 posts up: has anyone noticed an improvment in sound with regular caps in stead of electroytics (Silmic II or similar)? I don't see those in commercial Pass products (then again, I don't know if they have output caps). Or is this more one of those highly debated topics?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
if there is big (value) cap needed, Silmic is one of the best options, thinking of sound and price and availability

I have a habit to bypass them with polycarbonate (Philips MKC) and then I'm happy, that being decided level of effort I'm putting in that

if I'm going to DC coupling, it's more because of intellectual challenge than because of sound benefits

yeah, like all, I was obsessed with caps not being in signal path, before...... but in a meantime I did learn to see some of them actually being in signal path, even if not directly, so - after that, I simply changed my intentions - making nice and simple and enjoyable, instead of trying (unsuccessfully) to make another Halcro

in short - try what bothers you, but be practical - it's much more rewarding chasing some vinyl, instead of chasing just another set of caps

in short - try what bothers you, but be practical - it's much more rewarding chasing some vinyl, instead of chasing just another set of caps

Welllerman, ZM has sound advice as always. Everything makes a difference, whether it is worth it is another matter altogether (and physically larger / more expensive does not always mean better sound).

For what it's worth, Wayne voiced the circuit with the Silmics and recommends them in his BOM.

Last edited:
Since my last post, I've tried both Pearl 2s with my cartridge on a Sota table and heard the same thing--severely rolled-off highs. It's still a mystery why my Ortofon Blue doesn't play well with the Pearl 2, but I prettied up my PSU so I thought I'd post it. I hot-glued the caps down to the chassis, but I might try to come up with a sturdier solution for peace-of-mind.

Attachments

• pearl 2 psu.jpg
    pearl 2 psu.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 310
  • phono.jpg
    phono.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 307