Building a Pearl 2

Attach the ground lug to chassis.

6L6, why connect the housing of the DC in (umbilical) connector to ground? In my case this is an XLR, I see the safety concern since it has exposed metal - wondering if there is another concern.

While thinking about this, how do you connect the signal chassis to PE? Is it worth carrying PE in a separate conductor in the umbilical cable, and then earthing the chassis via this?

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
This is what I did in mine -

GroundingPearl2_zpsde57d115.jpg

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Got it, this is what i am planning too.

Stuffed the passives on both boards and tested the regulators today, all good.
Next is stuffing the ZVPs and hoping i dont fry them in the process...

I took my shoes and socks off and sprayed my work area with an anti-static gun. I know there are better ways to mitigate static, but this worked for me. That, or I was just lucky:D

When something is out of phase, you lose center image focus. I can hear it after a lot of years of using the sure phono test record and the jbl speakers test record. Also, familiar records from the 60's and 70's will have the tracks bussed to one channel now reversed and that will be unacceptable if you like the song.

I'm talking about absolute phase. Reversed phase in one channel will definitely sound strange.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
When something is out of phase, you lose center image focus. I can hear it after a lot of years of using the sure phono test record and the jbl speakers test record. Also, familiar records from the 60's and 70's will have the tracks bussed to one channel now reversed and that will be unacceptable if you like the song.

Out of phase is different than what is being discussed. Out of phase, the channels are hooked up different, here we are talking both lines switched, I change them at the speaker. With first watt amps I easily hear the difference. One way, imaging is more behind speakers, the other way, it comes forward and is more expansive.

Russellc

@tayj10

If I might ask... what connections did you undo to make your wiring conform to 6L6's drawing?

Or were the changes all additions?

Just curious.

Only additions. The only thing I added was add a screw to the bottom panel, and a wire from the ground lug to the screw. I also removed the anodization at contact points of all the panels (except the top panel, for now). The PCB star ground was already attached to the ground lug.