Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

F5 with full-range speakers?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2011, 05:14 PM   #1
majerjack is offline majerjack  United States
diyAudio Member

Default F5 with full-range speakers?

I would like to hear comments from members who have used their F5 amplifiers with full-range speakers. What drivers and cabinets have you used with your F5, and can you describe the results you obtained? Have you experimented with lowering the damping factor of the amplifier by placing a resistor in line with the F5 output, and if so, what value resistor did you use?

My bass reflex Tang Band W8-1808 project has been delayed by various life exigencies, but it now looks as though I will have the time to complete it, and I am considering an F5 to drive the speakers I will build. Has anyone tried an F5 with the W8-1808? If so, what did you think about the combination?

Thanks to all who reply. Any information will be appreciated.
Old 14th November 2011, 04:38 PM   #2
chalkandtalk is offline chalkandtalk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

My F5 drives a pair of Frugel 3 with Fostex 126s. Very clear sound. The Frugels need a sub though.
Old 14th November 2011, 06:00 PM   #3
tmblack is offline tmblack  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I've been thinking of building a Metronome.
But perhaps a rear folding bass horn would be better?
Old 14th November 2011, 10:22 PM   #4
generg is offline generg  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hm, I can answer only a bit.....

I drive a Lowther PM6 with a Tone Tubby for the bass. And the cap used for the Lowther is more on the warm side to compensate a bit the shout of the Lowthers.
For the same reason I preferred warmer FW amps with my speakers F4, F3 and F2J. But that depends really on the characteristic of your Tang Bang. When it is more dark, the F5 or the F1J could be very good solutions.......
Old 14th November 2011, 10:27 PM   #5
hesener is offline hesener  Germany
diyAudio Member

using two F5 with a pair of SEAS F8 in open baffle, absolutely sweet. the F5's are monoblocks close to the speakers. this is not a setup for "massive attack", more for "dead can dance"
just my two cents...
Old 15th November 2011, 09:34 AM   #6
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

LOL... "Dead can dance" ......
Old 15th November 2011, 08:15 PM   #7
tmblack is offline tmblack  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The JX92S is a nice driver but has gotten quite expensive.
Has anyone tried drivers from Creative Sound?
Old 15th November 2011, 09:25 PM   #8
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

I've used lowther DX4's and PM5A's with the F5. It's a very good amplifier. I still use this and an F2J as a reference in my system.
Salas Boards GB 2019 #2 Sign Up Sheet Click Here to Sign Up! | M2C Boards, PS and transformers Available PM
Old 15th November 2011, 10:00 PM   #9
toobhed is offline toobhed  United States
diyAudio Member

In my office I use an F5 with MA Alpair 7 gen 1's in slot-ported bass reflex bookshelf size cabinets....together they make beautiful music with a little help from a Gallo T1 subwoofer kicking in between 80-100hz...
Old 16th November 2011, 04:09 PM   #10
ianc13 is offline ianc13  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Not the W8-1808s, but I am currently running a pair of W8-1772 in 40 litre BR with the F5.

The new speakers are still running in at the moment, but I must say I am very happy with sound already (and hopefully will be getting happier over the next month or so as they run in fully).

The TBs do have a rising response though - I am taming this with a bit of filtering on the treble. I feel that the bass is in no way deficient, maybe not quite as full as a 2/3 way with a large bass driver, but fast and well controlled.

The full rangers that the TBs replaced were a little bright and that did not work when paired with the F5 (worked well with valves though), but the Tang Bands with the high frequency compensation work really well.

In fact I am so happy at the moment that I haven't thought of tinkering with anything for a while - not sure how long that will last though

F5 with full-range speakers?Hide this!Advertise here!