F5 with full-range speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to hear comments from members who have used their F5 amplifiers with full-range speakers. What drivers and cabinets have you used with your F5, and can you describe the results you obtained? Have you experimented with lowering the damping factor of the amplifier by placing a resistor in line with the F5 output, and if so, what value resistor did you use?

My bass reflex Tang Band W8-1808 project has been delayed by various life exigencies, but it now looks as though I will have the time to complete it, and I am considering an F5 to drive the speakers I will build. Has anyone tried an F5 with the W8-1808? If so, what did you think about the combination?

Thanks to all who reply. Any information will be appreciated.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hm, I can answer only a bit.....:rolleyes:

I drive a Lowther PM6 with a Tone Tubby for the bass. And the cap used for the Lowther is more on the warm side to compensate a bit the shout of the Lowthers.
For the same reason I preferred warmer FW amps with my speakers F4, F3 and F2J. But that depends really on the characteristic of your Tang Bang. When it is more dark, the F5 or the F1J could be very good solutions.......:):)

Not the W8-1808s, but I am currently running a pair of W8-1772 in 40 litre BR with the F5.

The new speakers are still running in at the moment, but I must say I am very happy with sound already (and hopefully will be getting happier over the next month or so as they run in fully).

The TBs do have a rising response though - I am taming this with a bit of filtering on the treble. I feel that the bass is in no way deficient, maybe not quite as full as a 2/3 way with a large bass driver, but fast and well controlled.

The full rangers that the TBs replaced were a little bright and that did not work when paired with the F5 (worked well with valves though), but the Tang Bands with the high frequency compensation work really well.

In fact I am so happy at the moment that I haven't thought of tinkering with anything for a while - not sure how long that will last though ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.