The Mini-A

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Just the one ?
Schematic for it ? I think there was a small discrepancy on the component numbering from the original schematic or am I wrong ?

The very first version of BrianGT's was blue and about 2.4mm thick, 2nd version was red. The red and blue version had a silkscreen error for one of the 220uF caps. That black board Boywonder put up is corrected and matches the attached schematic. I have a stack as well that I've been hoarding for some reason, I'll let a bunch go free..just pay shipping.

Attachments

• miniasch.pdf
    22.4 KB · Views: 106
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    613.4 KB · Views: 327
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    564 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:
To boywonder that's why I asked I read the complete thread from post 1 and there where some people mentioning that exact issue of the different components numbers.
But again I will only buy if there are 2 separated boards I don't have use for just one channel.
I have all the components for the buy bar the boards hence the question but thanks for the offer.

The boards are stereo...one board makes a two-channel amp.

Well it looks like I will have to take an offer from the other side of the pond...
I may bring this thread back to life, have a few projects that were started and never finished so why not start with this one already have the chassis done with with transformer/rectifiers and cap bank.

Last edited:
I just assembled one channel of those black boards a couple of days ago. 10 years too late, but better late than never I guess... The schematic is correct but it is missing some values (listed as TBD). The TBD is is in another file, attaching it now.

Attachments

• miniALEPH-parts_list.pdf
    133.4 KB · Views: 115
Nice. Always good to see more Alephs.

The amazing sound quality of the Aleph's low noise floor and wide bandwidth is often overlooked with the wave of FirstWatt products available in recent years. Hopefully there is a resurgence of interest.

Much has been written about them. For me, I enjoy the sweetness of tube type quality with clarity and speed of solid state. Running the amp with balanced sources is something special. For all the amazing amp's Nelson has built, the Aleph is legendary. Very hard to find someone who is critical of the Aleph when built properly.

Hope this will help using BrianGT board and Official Schema

I found a hard copy of this but couldn't find the original file that it came from, likely a Excel spreadsheet. However, I found this quite useful when using he BrianGT black board and the official Aleph schema..

I hope someone has the original spreadsheet and will post it. Until then, use this if you have question of "what is this parts in the Pass schema".

Thanks,

Attachments

• Aleph-BrianGT-PCB-vs-Original-Schema.jpg
    Aleph-BrianGT-PCB-vs-Original-Schema.jpg
    921.4 KB · Views: 321
Mini-A uses a single pair of output FETs.
In my build I use IRFP150 which has a much higher transconductance than IRFP240, but also higher capacitance. IRFP044 might be a bit too much in that respect.
If you do an Aleph 30 build (3 pairs of output FETs) then IRFP240 is just fine IMHO.

Disclaimer: I like the sound of high Gm devices. Perfectly suited for SE amps like Zen, Aleph, ACA, etc.

This is fun but this "conversation" has a load of lag, States -6 hours, Australia +11.
Going to start with the one on the parts list and go from there I may even try the IRFP450 just because.
I never listened to an Aleph so can't comment on that.
Just realized that I'm going to need a pre amp... so where did I put that unfinished 1.7 ?

"Going to start with the one on the parts list and go from there I may even try the IRFP450 just because."

Yeah, why not.
Just keep in mind you are not gaining anything with IRFP450 apart from high voltage capability. I would think this FET is best suited as a series device in a CapMx for a tube amp.

Gm almost the same as IRFP240.
Qg is double, therefore needs twice the current to get the same bandwidth.
Input capacitance double to what is with IRFP240.

Your call, but the end result is not looking very promising (with IRFP450), better stay with the one on the parts list.