Which amp design for DHT tube input?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I presently have an all-DHT setup - 26 (mu 8.5, Rp 7.5k) into 46 (mu 5.5, Rp 2.5K ) with a Lundahl transformer output which I could wire as SE or PP out. I could also step down if necessary from the 2.5K O/P impedance.

This currently has a 300b output which isn't enough to drive my Mark Audio Alpair 10 full range speakers. They're about 88db or 89db, but my room is small and I listen to classical and jazz, so I don't need huge power - maybe a good 10 watts, max 20w.

I have almost no experience of building a solid state output stage, but I build all my tube equipment. Know very little about Mosfet circuit theory, though enough to know I want class A and no caps in the output. I have most of the hardware - 25-0-25v (approx - could be up to 35v) power supply in different box, and some big heat sinks.

Can you guys recommend a really good DIY output circuit, which I could drive with DHT input stages (SE or PP)? Thinking of putting the output stage in a separate box from the DHT inputs. This may sound interesting or even great, so it may be a worthwhile experiment. I can build on tag strips for instance, or very open to a PCB. I've looked at Nelson's designs with awe, but I don't know enough theory to evaluate the many options. If I had a design I could go ahead and build it and report back!

Andy

Here's the heatsinks - not sure what width to make the chassis.

Attachments

• IMG_8593.JPG
    IMG_8593.JPG
    558.3 KB · Views: 277
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The arch nemesis is already running more than an amp through the OPT, and only does 5 or 6 watts. I'd think you'd run into bandwidth issues with the size of the wiring/opt before you could effectively scale this up.

Jan Didden has some larger transformers which appear to be able to take
a higher bias current, and from his figures he seems to get good bandwidth,
so I think more power is certainly possible, although a bit expensive.

:cool:

The F4 appeals because as Nelson says, that's what it was designed for. Seems I will run into those tedious problems of finding 2SJ108s - I've been searching through many threads. Is there any recent discussion of how to get around this part not being available - substitutes etc? The other devices are stocked by Farnell in UK.

Andy

I just had a scary thought that Semisouth would in the near future come up with a plug-in solid state version of a 300b.......

Or at least something rather like it. I mean, how many tube amps are there lying about with OPTs just ready for such things. You might need something that would work into a 3K to 6k primary. Push pull should be fine (then there's parafeed....).

I wonder how far we are away from such a device...... tube builders are more used to seeing curves as below - wonder what they look like for some of the SIC devices....

Attachments

• 2SK77 CURVE sm.jpg
    2SK77 CURVE sm.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
BA-1 output stage?

At this point I'm thinking something similar, but also consider the BA-1 output stage (Single Ended) , I dont know if sound better than F4 but it sounds like a natural choice for me that I come from the SET amp.

Someone compare both output stage with the same preamp?

Thanks in advance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.