Burning Amp BA-3

Thanks for the replies. I measure the output offset from speaker outputs. I am adjusting P1 on the bias board. I have the v2.8 version. It drifts fast from 0 to -1000 mA when I turn it on. Still -1000 after warming up. The heatsink doesnt get warm. I Will try to pose a photo.
How are you measuring 1000mA?
When measuring output offset the input should be shorted and the output should be open. Open = zero current, NOT 1000mA !

Hi 6L6: re: posted test jigs for measuring Idss (page 161 in BA-3 thread). Is this jig also appropriate for testing JFET devices to go into an F5 amp? I mean with same dc test voltage, using a 9v battery. I have a regulated power supply, if there is any advantage to setting test voltage to a different value.

I have some Toshiba J74 and K170 devices I got from alweit (Alexander Weitzman, a guy in Israel) on ebay back in 2012; they are supposed to be BL grade and are ostensibly measured and matched, with Idss values noted on each pair of N, and each pair of P devices, but I would like to confirm those measurements are in the ballpark. (Alweit has a near perfect record on ebay, but I'd feel better seeing a reading on my own trusty old Beckman DMM.)

I also have some Linear Systems J74 and K170 devices I got from diyaudio a couple of years later, but they are A grade so I probably don't want to use them on the F5, unless they measure in the very high end of the range. Like over 6mA. Right?

Perhaps it is gilding the lily to worry about matching these input devices P to N, and channel to channel, but it seems as though a lot of bandwidth on the diyaudio pages has been devoted to just that! And we do like to get things right in this hobby.

BTW Is it true that I need not worry about matching the Vgs values of the output transistors in the F5? I got a tube of P and of N devices from Mouser or Digi-Key, so they are probably same batch.

Thank you for your help here, and in the past, especially for all your build guides in general! They inspire confidence and encourage diy projects around the globe.

"Zapped"
Larry Wright
formerly in Seattle area; now near Portland on the WA side.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yes, the 9v and meter is fine for testing Idss of any jfets.

Alweit's transistors are genuine. If they are a BL pair feel free to slap them in the circuit without measurement, they will be what he said they were. :) That said, measure just to give it a try.

Yes, if the LS are on the high side that would be better for these amps, but it's not that big a deal.

The F5 output transistors need no matching.

I completed construction of an Aleph J amplifier a couple of months ago and have been delighted with the result.
More recently I have considered constructing a Burning Amp consisting of an
input/gain stage w/o feedback coupled to a single ended follower output.
I have purchased the boards and components and have commenced construction.
However, I note that unlike the complementary follower version, the single ended version I have chosen doesn't appear to have any DC offset adjustment.

I was therefore wondering if anyone had constructed this version and can
advise what level of offset I could expect. I use these amps with full range
electrostatic loudspeakers where this is an important consideration.

Any advise on this would be appreciated.

Regards, Peter

I am trying to understand how the voltage gain is calculated in BA-3. The original article says "The voltage appearing at the Gate of Q3 is amplified by something less than the ratio of R10 divided by R8". I don't quite understand how the value of R8 influences the voltage, as I thought the gate resistance is so high that anything in series won't affect it. Thanks in advance.